Chapter 9: Hyperthermia

————————

The cold was unbearable.

Shallow breaths.

Everything was starting to warm up.

Warmer.

Warmer.

It's burning now.

"... ah..." you barely let out a squeak. The snow hasn't stopped at all, and at some point you collapsed. There was a good chance you weren't gonna make it out alive if you didn't stand up.

But...

With another futile attempt you tried to stand up only to realize that your body wouldn't move at all.

You had hyperthermia. There's no other reason as to why it felt like everything was burning. Your body didn't know warmth from cold anymore. You didn't know what to do.

"... I'm... ti... red..." you mumbled as your eyes closed. A blurry, blue figure moved in your sight but you couldn't do anything.

With both your mind and body tired you felt yourself drift away.

Could this be your end? So close to graduating and living on your own, all those years of work and memories amounted to nothing. It felt weird. You had hoped that you would of been able to do something with your life but you guess life had other plans for you.

You wanted to know what was up with all those weird dreams you kept on having for the past couple of months. Was it something supernatural or just some weird coincidence?

What would of happened if you weren't exhausted mentally? Would you have been able to save Alex and yourself? Would either of you be in this situation at all? Probably not. Why did you have to have so many regrets right before death?

You didn't want to go like this...

With all of your strength you reached out to the figure, caught off guard when you realized that it wasn't just your mind playing tricks on you. Your mouth open, teeth chattering and throat clamped up.

You mouthed "Help".

.
.
.

"What do I do...? What do I do?!" The spirit panicked as he watched the girl drift in and out of consciousness. "Help..! I need to bring you to Alex! But you don't even believe in me..!"

The spirit went into further panic as the girl's breathing  became more and more shallow, slowly down to a dangerous pace. His first instinct was to pick her up, to bring her to safety, but he knew she didn't believe. He also knew that the longer he stayed around her the more the temperature would drop. His panic only worsen the weather. His clear blue eyes looked up at the gray, clouded skies. Snow fell harder, becoming a blizzard at this point.

"What do I do? What do I do?!" He kept on repeating. He was snapped out of his panicked state momentarily when he felt a hand on his ankle. He nearly screamed if he hadn't realized that it was the girl. She looked up at him with a glossy daze. Her skin turning blue, mostly her lips and eyes. Her nose shortly followed. Tears were frozen in their tracks due to the freezing temperatures. With labored breaths she moved her lips, her voice squeaking and failing her but he could make out what she was saying.

"Help"

He stood there, frozen himself. Not only did she see him but she also touched him. Did that mean she was just ignoring him before? If that's the case that's pretty mean-

He abruptly stopped his thoughts. Now wasn't the time to question that, he had to help her.

"Up you go..!" The spirit spoke hastily as he tried to lift up the near dead girl. He had placed his staff besides him as he grabbed an awkward hold of the girl's body. He didn't even question the fact that he was lost and didn't know where anyone was. He just made sure that she would fall off his back. Despite her ice cold, shaking body she managed to keep a weak grip on him. He didn't even think she knew who she was clinging onto. "Don't worry, I'm gonna get you help"

She moved her head a bit as if nodding.

"Hold on tight..!" He said as her grip tighten slightly. He held onto his staff with one hand and the girl's leg with the other. "Wind! Take us back!"

The blizzard had lighten a bit but it still raged as the spirit's adrenaline pumped. A hush of wind swept them both off the ground. The ice cold wind nipped at them both, the girl whimpered at this.

"Sorry, but this is the fastest way. I'll get you to Alex just-" The girl grip tighten. "-Just hold on a bit longer!"

The carried both of them off, higher and faster. With a better view of the forest and a worry off his list the spirit flew them both off to the closest mass of lights.

.
.
.

I can't fall asleep.

If I do, I'm not gonna wake up.

But it's so cold. Or is it warm?

I can't tell anymore.

I'll just rest my eyes...