Chapter 15: Back to School

————————

"Hey, aren't you the girl who almost died at the beginning of the year?" A classmate asked, leaning across their own table to try and start a conversation. Soon after that other students joined in, interested in what was to be said. You leaned back into your seat, off put by the sudden attention. You had just literally sat down and pulled out your notebook. It hadn't even been 5 minutes.

"Yeah yeah! What happened-" one started to ask before they were hit upside the head by their friend.

"Dude! You can't just ask someone how they almost died" they scolded. Their friend went back to their seat, embarrassed by the small scene that was made. You could barely get a word out as people kept on asking you about the incident. Was it true that you got lost in the woods? Were you kidnapped? And the most dreaded question: Why were you in the woods? You couldn't really tell them, it was incredible stupid and an idiotic thing you and Alex did. Follow a trail into the woods. It was like a child following a trail of candies into a white van.

"Come on class, lay off (Y/N). She's already behind on her school work, she doesn't need you guys distraction her anymore" your homeroom teacher scolded the class. He was strict, a ruler in his hand as he glared down on the students. Some of the students groaned while others just went to their assigned seats in a panic. The teacher shot one final glare at the reminding students before they shuffled back to their seats, leaving you alone. You sighed in relief as the teacher began today's lesson, his ruler tapping against the projector screen as the slide show began.

You watched the teacher go over the slideshow, making sure that you took notes. The teachers eyes monitored the students, making sure that everyone was on track. Your mind began to wonder to a few days ago, after the incident in your room. The ice blue eyes made their return, and this time outside your window. You remember seeing them before you passed out on the growing pile of snow and now they appeared just outside your window.

Were you just imagining things? Maybe it was a result from your half awake status that made you see things. Yeah... yeah that made sense. It made logical sense.

But deep down, you knew that you were wrong. Those eyes were real, and they belonged to someone. You were just too afraid to admit it.

.
.
.

"So... How was school today?" You father asked as he picked you up from school. You sat in the passenger seat besides him, throwing your backpack in the back seats. You ran a hand threw your hair, sighing loudly. Your father winced, "That bad, huh?"

"It was mostly my peers, they wouldn't stop asking me about how I almost died... Well, some of them did. The others kept to themselves really" You mumbled as your father drove down the street, passing the houses and other students who were making their way to a nearby park.

"Don't worry kiddo, everything will blow over in a few days. Just give it time" he reassured you. You nodded as you stared out the window. You watched the houses whizz by, nobody was really outside in this weather aside from the students waking home. And it still seemed colder than ever, you had even worn a long sleeve shirt under your jacket. That's how cold it was. You sunk further into your jacket, you didn't really like how cold it had gotten. You weren't use to the lower temperatures, that's for sure.

The car came to a stop at an intersection, the red light shining brightly from above. You watched as the nearby trees swayed harshly, a sudden gust of wind picking up the leaves that had fallen on the ground and twirled them in the air. Your eyes were fixated on the whirlwind of leaves in front of your car, it was pretty in a sense. The car suddenly jerked into motion. Your eyes traveled back to the side window.

Ice blue eyes.

They were staring at you. You blinked, startled slightly by their sudden appearance but they were still there. You shift in your seat, straining your neck as you tried to keep contact with them as your car began to run. They watched you, and you took notice of a shadowy figure that accompanied the eyes. You couldn't figure out what- who the figure was. Yet... it felt familiar somehow...

"What are you looking at kiddo?" Your head snapped back to your father who gave you occasional glances as he drives. Your lips pressed into a straight line as you shifted back to look at the eyes. Except... they were gone again.

"I thought... I saw a cat" you lied. Your father chuckled, dismissing your behavior.

You rubbed your eyes with your fingers. You didn't see anything. You didn't see. It didn't make sense. You were just stressed out right now. After a quick nap you'll be all better.

No more illusions.
No more shadows.
No more eyes.

——————————