C H A P T E R S I X T E E N

-

-

"You're going to train it to be, what? An heir to your kingdom?"

"A weapon. No blood of Xerxes shall seat upon my throne."

"And you think the girl will allow you to manipulate her child? No less her babe with Xerxes."

"My pet is weak, too feeble to even try to fight back. She won't be a problem once I've reverted her back to her guileless self."

-

                    Everyone turned to look towards the entry of their king, and unexpectedly for them, his companion

                    Everyone turned to look towards the entry of their king, and unexpectedly for them, his companion. Men bowed down to their waists whilst the women dropped gracefully down in curtsies as they parted to make way for the new arrivals. Some had tried peaking up at the two as they passed them by, but whenever they did, it is as if the king knew and they would feel his eyes upon them and an unpleasant shiver would go up their spine, almost bringing them to their knees with just a stare.

When both had reached the main table, Xerxes nodded towards his squire and Coatl signed for the band to once again play with their instruments, indicating for the people to continue with the festivities. But some seemed more interested with the girl that latched onto their king's arm than the food offered to them. They had tried to subtly take a glimpse of her but the formidable figure of Xerxes was an obstacle that they would have to go through first before anyone was to take a look of his treasure.

Adelaide pressed the side of her face against her beast's chest, eyes frantically wandering to the crowd of curious people in the large room with them, just feeling the unsaid judgements through their gazes, thus making her want to curl up on the ground to hide herself from them, and Xerxes' suddenly cold exterior wasn't much of a help in her current situation. But she understood why, he had told her himself awhile ago. He had to rule them with fear.

Because without a little bit of fear there shall be no respect. She thought to herself.

"Well, I'll be damned. You clean up very good, little miss."