C H A P T E R T H I R T Y T W O

-

-

. . .

-

                    Adelaide sniffled, eyes red and blurry from the tears that gathered and fell down to her cheeks

                    Adelaide sniffled, eyes red and blurry from the tears that gathered and fell down to her cheeks. Everybody had already left, leaving her and Xerxes alone in their chamber. The air was tense, almost suffocating for her but she didn't dare try to speak first; she doubted she could even if she willed it, and so she waited with bated breath, one hand still splayed out on her stomach and the other just right beside her face where it was leant against her king's muscular chest so she could hear and feel his heart beating.

He drew in a large breath through his nose before expelling a long sigh from his mouth.

"Do you doubt me?"

"No.. no, never." She said, shaking her head as she kept on repeating her words to him.

Xerxes released her from his embrace. She whimpered, clutching onto him as she refused to let him go until he cupped her face tightly within his battle worn hands, making her look up at him through blurry vision.

"Then tell me, Adelaide." He growled lowly down his throat, eyes flickering from one color to another. "Tell me what made you even think that I would consider killing you and our child?"

"I.. I can't." She stuttered tearfully. "I'm sorry-"

"Tell me!" He shouted, startling her enough to make her tremble in fear. She was afraid, at first, that her dream was about to come true right in front of her, until she saw the raw emotion in his eyes as he looked down in almost defeat.

"You are my everything, Adelaide, you both are. And if anything is making you doubt that then I need to know why. I need to know what I'm doing wrong."

"No. Xerxes, no." She cried as her heart broke at the sight of her king so.. vulnerable. "You're not doing anything wrong."