C H A P T E R T H I R T Y S I X

-

-

"I don't understand. What has the Mother got anything to do with this?"

"Everything. She's got everything to do with this, Coatl. Who do you think gave me all these ideas? Who do you think planned every single thing that's happened? She did."

"B-but why? Xerxes is her favored creature. Adelaide is a child that came from her very womb that she gave to Xerxes. Why do this? Why would she separate and make them suffer?"

"Jealousy can make you do horrible things, my friend. And the Mother is no exception."

-

          Norward stood by the courtyard, nodding at any passing soldier that came by his way as he dutifully waited his mistress to finish saying her goodbyes

          Norward stood by the courtyard, nodding at any passing soldier that came by his way as he dutifully waited his mistress to finish saying her goodbyes. She had insisted on gifting everyone who was leaving a kiss on their cheek, much to Xerxes' distaste, and as she did she let them experience a part of her starlight as wisps of white essense followed her lips to their skin and somehow it strengthened their spirits, as it should as a favor of their queen.

She'd tried her hardest to catch and present them all with her parting gift but alas, it was almost time to go. And with only a few moments to spare, his mistress was finally in her soulbound's arms in a tight embrace and Norward felt his heart shudder as tears dropped from Adelaide's eyes, ones that she had witheld from falling since her final night with Xerxes.

As it is with every goodbye, the hardest part about it is not knowing whether or not you'll see the person again.

"We will probably not be able to embrace like this the next time we see each other, my king." Adelaide tearfully said with a sad smile as she looked into Xerxes' ever changing colored eyes; they were a dark blue right now.

Xerxes hummed and tenderly kissed away her tears. "Your stomach will be swelling beautifully by then, my sweet Dela. And you would be glowing brighter than even the sun with our little one growing inside you."