Chapter 1

We were driving along the highway, on our way towards our hometown.

This is the first time coming home since Christmas two years ago, and even then, I had only stayed over night before immediately leaving the following morning.

Me and Nick broke up. Actually, I broke it off with him four years ago.

He cheated on me and if it wasn't for his big mouth of a friend Chase bragging about about it and being overheard by a friend, I never would have known. Nick confessed when I had confronted him and I packed me and my daughter's clothes and moved back to my parents house.

Nick cried and begged for forgiveness, but I just couldn't at the time. I was too hurt.

I made the decision to leave town after I couldn't handle seeing Nick parading around town with different girls, even though he had every right to, he wasn't mine anymore.

I especially couldn't handle seeing him with one particular girl, Kat Clarkson. She had finally wrapped her claws around him and got what she wanted.

And it broke my heart knowing that he had chosen her just to hurt me...

Back to the present, we were returning back to town for my father's birthday, my mom also wanted to celebrate his remission from his cancer. He had beaten it before, but it came back again and so he had to endure another series of hospital visits and more chemo and was recently given the all clear by his doctors.

Dean let out a huge yawn in the passenger seat and rubbed his tired eyes.

"Why don't you take a nap? We still have an hour on the road." I said to him and reached over to caress his cheek.

Yes. Me and Dean are dating. I had finally moved on from Nick and started dating other men and further along the track, I ran into Dean and reconnected with him in the city. He eventually mustered up the courage to ask me out and I had decided to give him a chance. We have been seeing each other for a little over a year now and had a comfortable and steady relationship.

"Who's gonna keep you company? Your daughter's already snoring in the back seat."

"I'll be fine honey. Take a nap, you must be tired from your shift last night."

Dean works as a paramedic and has been rostered on the night shift for the past couple of days. As for me, I work as a secretary at a marketing firm, Chris, Nick's brother got me the job through one of his mutual friends, which I was so thankful for.

I looked through the rear vision mirror and smiled at my sleeping daughter. She is seven years old now and a mini version of me. She has so much energy and loves her sports and school.

I returned my eyes back to the road while my two favorite people slept.

My mom was waiting outside on the porch when we arrived and squealed like a little girl as she hurried to the car and opened the back door to pull my daughter out of her seat.

My daughter laughed uncontrollably as she willing went into her Nanna's arms.

My mom planted kisses after kisses all over Shania's face before she started to protest then my mom pulled me in for a hug and dropped a couple of kisses on my forehead. 

"Thank you for coming honey. I know you don't like coming home anymore, but I'm glad that you did. We all miss you." My mom said with tears in her eyes. She then looked over at Dean.

"Come here and give me a hug Dean." Mom said as she opened her arms.

He went to her and wrapped his arms around her and patted her back.