Chapter 23

Julie's pov

I knocked on my apartment door and could smell something delicious behind it.

I heard Shania running and hoped that she doesn't open the door. I told her many times not to unlock the door even if she thinks that someone that she knows is behind it.

People in this building knew that only me and Shania lived here alone and even though they were my neighbors, they were still strangers.

Her feet stopped. But thankfully she didn't touch anything and waited until her father unlocked the door.

"Hey you. How was work?" Nick asked as he opened the door wider to let me in. My daughter hugged me like we haven't seen each other eight hours earlier.

"Long and tiring." I answered Nick then bent down to hug Shania.

"What did you guys cook. It smells delicious."

"Spaghetti mommy. Come, I want to show you what I made too." Shania answered and pulled me into our small kitchen. She opened the fridge and pointed to a rough and ready salad in the bowl.

"Wow. Did you make that all by yourself?" I asked her.

"Ah huh. Daddy showed me." She answered proudly.

I gave her a kiss. "Well done honey. It looks delicious. I can't wait to eat it."

She smiled then ran back to the dining table and sat in her chair.

"Ready for dinner?" Nick asked as he pulled the garlic bread out of the oven.

"Yes. I'm starving. But I'm going to change into something more comfortable and get out of these heels."

"Ok. I'll start serving the food."

I nodded then walked into my bedroom and changed into cotton shorts and a loose t-shirt and by the time I came back out, Nick had a pile of spaghetti and meat balls on a plate for me.

My stomach grumbled loudly and my daughter laughed as I rubbed my tummy. I smiled at her. "I guess I'm hungry."

I sat down then Nick handed the salad over and Shania blushed as I started to dish some on my plate and dug in.

"It's delicious my baby." I said and stroked her cheek.

"What about the spaghetti?" She asked.

"It's delicious as well. Thank you both for cooking dinner tonight."

"You're welcome Jules."

We tidied up the dirty dishes together then Nick poured us both a glass of wine and then joined Shania on the sofa.

"Twenty minutes baby then it's bedtime."  I said.

She made a face but nodded then leaned up against her father.

"So? Are you staying here or at Chris's?" I asked as I tucked my legs under me.

"Yeah. If you don't mind. It'll make more sense to stay here rather than driving back and forth to Chris's everyday."

"That does sound more practical."

"So? I can stay?"

I rolled my eyes. "Of course you can you goof."

He smiled brightly. "Thanks. I'll go down later to grab my gear."

I took a sip.  "No problem."

"So are you going to tell me what happened with you and Chase?" I asked him after we tucked Shania in and sat back out on the sofa.

"Yeah. I'll pour us another glass first."