Chapter 19

Julie's pov

I stayed after dinner and had a couple of glasses of wine with Carol, she wanted to spend some time with me before we head back to the city and back to reality.

She kept the subject away from my recent break up and chatted mostly about her new beau and how he managed to charm her into dating him.

"What does he do for a living?" I asked as I swirled my wine.

"I can't believe you and Nicky don't know who he is." She said in disbelief.

I shook my head and shrugged. "Sorry. He does seem familiar, but I just can't place him."

Carol sighed after my long pause and blank expression. "He was your  substitute English teacher at your high-school for about a month."

"Oh. Right." I answered, then tried thinking back to then and coming up very blank.

"Don't strain your brain Julie. Nicky did the same thing and he gave himself a headache. Besides, you guys were both in your own little bubble back then."

"I guess. I feel kinda bad that I don't remember him."

"Don't be. Us teachers don't tend to stay in their students memories for very long, especially after completing school."

"That's kind of sad when you say it like that. Wouldn't you have some favorite students on your long list?"

"I do. And some of my little ones still remember me when they hit middle school which is a bonus."

I smiled. "That's cute."

Carol returned my smile. "Anyway. How was today? You guys came back with smiles plastered all over your faces."

"Yeah. It was great. We seem to have a great time when it's just the three of us."

"What're you going to do with Shania when you have to go back to work?"

"I'll have to find a sitter I guess."

"Have you spoken to Nicky? Maybe he can take some time off and help you?"

I frowned at little. "No I haven't.  I mean, that'll be awesome if he can, money can be tight and I'd rather not pay for a sitter five days a week."

Carol smiled. "How about you go and ask him? I think he's tinkering around with one of the cars and while you do that I'm going to give Bryce a call."

I nodded then placed my glass on the coffee table then walked out and into the garage.

Nick was shirtless and under the bonnet of the impala. But I wasn't paying much attention to what he was doing. But watching as the muscles in his back and arms work. I swallowed then felt my face heat up.

I cleared my throat. "Ah. Nick?"

He stopped and turned around and my eyes automatically ran across his shirtless torso.

"Hey. Eyes up here." Nick said and my eyes met his amused ones.

I blushed then cleared my throat. "Um. Where's your shirt?"

He smirked then grabbed it off the roof of the car and placed it over his shoulder before prowling towards me.

My eyes widen but I didn't back up as I stood and watched him until he was standing right in front of me.

"Now why should I put it back on when I know that you were checking me out? And liking it."

My eyes roamed again and I shook my head and quietly swore when he started to laugh.

"You're enjoying this aren't you?" I asked then crossed my arms so I wouldn't start fanning my heated face. But it still didn't stop my stupid eyes from roaming again.

"I've had one too many wines." I said then shook my head.

"Oh please. You probably had two glasses, maybe one and a half." Nick said then tucked some loose hair behind my ear that had escaped from my pony tail. "C'mon. It's hot in here let's head into the house." He took my hand like it was the most natural thing in the world and walked me back into the house. He grabbed two Corona's from the fridge then led us both to the back porch where we were sure to catch some breeze.

He didn't let my hand go until he handed me one of the beers and I  immediately missed his contact.

I shook it off then opened my beer and took a sip. "Your mom mentioned that you can help take care of Shania while I'm working."

"You mean in the city?"

"Yeah. But if you can't I'll just pay for a sitter and Sarah will help out when ever she can."

"Jules stop. I'll be more than happy to help out. I have tons of vacation time and my boss is awesome. He'll understand that I have to take care of my family."

"I just don't want to -"

"- Stop. You're not. When do you need me?" He interrupted.

"Um...as soon as possible and I know it's short notice but if Chris can't have you then you're more than welcome to stay with me and Shania."

He nodded. "Just give me a couple of days to clear things up with my boss."

"Thanks Nick. This will help me out heaps."

"Don't thank me. I'm happy to help." He answered then leaned back and took a long pull of his beer.

"Are you going to put your shirt back on at all?"

He smiled then shook his head. "Nope. It's a little humid tonight don't you think?" He teased.

I rolled my eyes then leaned back. I can already feel the effects of the alcohol as I took a longer sip. "I think I need to head home after this."

"C'mon stick around for bit. It's only after eight."

I looked over at him and laughed as he gave me his adorable puppy eyes. "Fine. But no more drinks. I think I've  had enough. And please put your shirt on it's distracting."

He sighed dramatically. "Fine."