Chapter 42

Nick's pov

You have to prepare yourself for the worst...she may not make it...

Those words kept replaying over and over in my head like a broken record.

I hugged my daughter tighter and kissed the top of her head. She has been understandably quiet as we waited.

Lisa had arrived and was on the phone, probably with her parents. While Sarah and Chris went down to the cafeteria to grab some food and coffee.

I had no idea how to explain to Shania that her mom was seriously hurt, I really needed our parents here to give me some type of guidance.

I checked the time and saw they still had half an hour on the road before they arrived.

I fished my cell out of my pocket and handed it to Shania. She crawled off my lap and sat down next to me before she proceeded to check out the avaliable games in my app store.

I blew out a small breath. At least she'll be distracted for a little while and hopefully doesn't ask more questions that I didn't have answers to.

Everyone had finally arrived and I immediately embraced my mom's small frame. I held the tears in knowing that everyone was watching us. She pulled me out into the hall and away from everyone for some privacy, she then held my face between her hands.

"I know it's a silly question but how are you son?"

I shook my head. "I'm scared mom. I don't want to think that something can go wrong in there." I answered and avoided her eyes.

"Oh son. She's a fighter and she's strong. She'll never give up on you or Shania."

I ducked my head then allowed the tears to fall. "I just can't help but think that we could loose her mom. The guy who found her said that she was barely hanging on and that I should prepare myself for the worst... We can't loose her mom...She's all we have."

My mom wiped away my tears. "She'll make it son. You have to have faith, for yourself and for the doctor's in there working hard to help her."

I sniffed then nodded and my mom pulled me in for a much needed hug.

Chris volunteered to take Shania home after my daughter started nodding off.

I quietly followed him to his car with my sleeping daughter in my arms. He unlocked his car and I gently placed her in and buckled her up. She opened her eyes briefly and mumbled something before she went back to sleep.

I kissed her forehead and promised that I'll see her soon before closing the door.

"Call me when you hear any news okay?" Chris said.

I nodded then gave him a quick hug. "Thanks for looking after her man."

"You don't have to thank me Nick. She's my blood too."

I watched as he left then went back inside. It has been almost two hours since she's been in the OR and I was feeling anxious. I felt like banging on those doors and demanding what was going on. We needed some type of assurance to settle our frail nerves.

At around 10pm that night a doctor finally came through the door.

"Family of Julie Smith?"

We all stood and anxiously stared at the doc.

"How is my daughter?" Jo asked and she took a step towards him.

"She's stable Mrs. Smith. We had to remove some damaged intestine and repair the soft tissues of her digestive system. Her liver also suffered some trauma. But thankfully we repaired the damages inflicted by the stab wounds. We're going to move her into the recovery ward for the next 24 hours as a precaution so we can monitor any infections that may arise, then she will be moved to a regular room. We've placed her into a medically induced sleep so her body can rest and start the recovery process. I can assure you the she is doing fine and I expect her to fully recover from her injuries."

The whole room breathed a sigh of relief and the atmosphere around us relaxed.

"I know you guys have been waiting a while and I just like to ask if you can all be patient for another ten mintues until we settle Julie into a room, then someone will come by and collect you guys. But please follow the nurses instructions when you arrive at the ward."

"We will doctor. And thank you so much for saving my daughter."

He nodded then gave Jo a small before leaving. Probably going off to save another life.

*    *    *

Everyone took turns going in and seeing Julie. I wanted to wait until last and allowed her family to be the first.

Mrs S then whispered that it was my turn. I looked at my mom and asked her to come in with me.

Mom linked her arm through mine and together we walked in and stood by Julie's bed.

She had numerous wires and tubes connected to her with IV's in both arms and one of those tubes under her nostrils. All of it connected to machines beside the bed.

"She looks so pale." I said and placed my hand over Julie's. Her skin feeling cold to the touch. I sat down and gently lifted her limp hand and placed it in between mine to give hers some warmth.

"Her hand is cold."

Mom placed her hands on my shoulders. "It's probably from the air conditioning. We'll ask the nurses to cover her arms before we leave."

I nodded. Then place a few gentle kisses on Julie's hand. "I love you Julie. Please get better soon so you can come home to us."

I wanted so badly to stay but Mrs S told me it won't be worth the back pain and body aches if I stayed and slept in the chair.

"Besides Nicholas. The nurses won't allow it. It's best you go home to Shania and get a full eight hours of sleep. Julie's in good hands here I promise you."

I nodded. "You and Mr S are welcome to come and stay at ours if you like?"

"Thank you for the offer but we're fine. We're going to stay at Lisa's and Dave's. We didn't want Carol to go without a bed."

I nodded. "Ok. I guess we'll meet you guys here in the morning."

We all kissed Jules goodbye before we headed in separate directions.

I parked next to Chris's car in my driveway and carried mom's small suitcase in the house. Chris was laying on the couch watching TV when we walked in.

"Hey guys." He said then sat up. "How's Julie?"

I nodded. "They've put her in a medically induced sleep but the doc said that she should fully recover."

"That's great news man. She'll be back home before you know it."

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Don't worry I've already made up the bed in the spare bedroom for mom. I'll come by in the morning before we head back to the hospital." Chris said as he clicked the TV off and threw on his jacket.

"Hey man you can stay if you want. I'll move Shania in with me or mom and you can crash there."

"Nah it's ok. I need a shower anyways. I'll come back in the morning." He answered and gave me a man hug before pulling mom in for a hug.

I went and locked the door behind him then showed mom to her room and where the bathroom was.

I said goodnight to her then checked on my daughter and gave her a kiss on her cheek and threw the covers back over her that she had kicked off. I then went into my room and straight to the bathroom for a quick shower.

Once I slipped into bed I grabbed Julie's pillow and snuggled it,  breathing in her soft scent and wishing that she was here with me. My exausted body finally gave in and I fell into a deep dreamless sleep.