Chapter 21

Julie's pov

I stared at my cell after Nick hung up.

What was going on? And what did Chase do to make him so upset?

He has always defended Chase throughout our relationship and brushed off any snide remarks that Chase threw at us, especially at me.

I just hoped that Nick didn't snap and get into a fight with Chase.

Chase may love to party hard, but he still knew how to throw a few punches and he certainly has a temper on him.

I didn't want Nick getting bruised up or hurt over something that may not be worth fighting over.

I placed my cell back in my bag and turned my attention back to my computer screen. I had to get on with typing these reports for my boss who conveniently allowed them to pile up on my desk during my two weeks absence.

He was nice and friendly but something was off about him and he sometimes gave me the creeps. But I needed this job, it paid well and gave me benefits and I couldn't afford to quit just yet, not until I found another job.

I sighed then got back into it and blocked out the rest of my surroundings up until I was interrupted at lunch time by Garth, my boss.

"Hey Julie. Would you be a sweetheart and run out to get me a meatball sub and a coke from that nice sandwich place down the road?"

I nodded. "Of course sir. Anything else?"

"No. No. That's all." He answered with a smile and handed me some money.

I nodded then grabbed my hand bag from my desk drawer.

"Oh. And Julie. I heard about your break up. How're you doing?"

"I'm fine thanks." I quickly answered then proceeded to move past him but he reached out and stopped me.

"Look. How about I take you out sometime for drinks? You know, to take your mind off of things?"

"Um. I don't think that's a good idea sir. You're my boss and I think that'll be inappropriate."

He waved it off. "There's nothing in our company policy stating that colleagues cannot have after hours drinks. C'mon, it'll be fun and I promise that I'll be a complete gentleman."

"I'm sure you will be sir. But, I can't. Plus, I've just broken up with my boyfriend. If you'll excuse me, I'll run out and get you your lunch." I said then left for the elevators. I made the mistake of looking back at Garth and felt a cold shiver run through me as he watched me like I was something for him to devour.

I will have to stand my ground and make sure that I'm surrounded by people. I didn't want to give him any indication that I'm interested in any way.

I had a long ass day at work and was exhausted by the time I swung by Sarah's to pick Shania up. I thanked my friend and hugged her goodbye.

"Is daddy waiting for us?" Shania asked when we got into the car.

"No baby. He had some more things to do but promised that he'll be here in the morning."

She deflated then hung her head.

"I sorry baby. I know you were excited about daddy coming today. How about when we get home, you can call him while I'm cooking dinner hmm?"

She nodded then looked out of the window. I sighed then stroked her hair as I pulled away from Sarah's and headed home, I hated seeing her like this, but hopefully she'll get over it soon.

We quietly drove back to our little apartment and I asked Shania to have a shower and get into her sleep wear while I went to start dinner. Deciding on a something quick and easy, I pulled out the elbow macaroni shells and put water on to boil.

I called out for Shania to finish up soon as I gathered my ingredients for the cheesy sauce.

My daughter came running out a few minutes later dressed and ready to call her dad.

"Ok baby. Sit on the couch while I go and grab my cell phone okay?"

She nodded with a huge smile and I returned her smile, feeling happy that she was happy.

I quickly texted Nick and asked him to call me and that Shania will answer the phone, then I handed her the device before getting back to cooking.

I watched as my daughter's face lit up with delight as my ring tone filled the apartment and I grinned as she swiped the screen and happily greeted her father.

After dinner and some TV time. I sent Shania to the bathroom to brush her teeth then I tucked her in and read her a story and was thankful that she  fell asleep immediately. I then cleaned our dirty dishes and tidied the apartment before having a shower and going to bed.

*     *    *

I called into work the following morning and left a message with one of the ladies to inform Garth that I will be running a little late due to family reasons. He didn't need to know the details of my personal life, not that I was willing to share with anyone at the office, I preferred to keep my personal and professional life separate. Which made me wonder how Garth knew that me and Dean had broken up. Garth and Dean had only met once at an office party and that was it.

I put some coffee on then poured some cereal for myself and Shania then sat down and ate.

"So? Daddy should be here in an hour. What do you think you guys will do all day?" I asked Shania as I ate a spoonful of cereal.

She looked thoughtful for a moment then proceeded to tell me a variety of activities she planned to do with her daddy. I smiled at her cuteness then nodded and continued eating.