Chapter 8

Nick's pov

I showed up at the lake alone. Mom already had plans with a friend so I had no choice but to come alone. I felt a little out of place when I parked next to the minivan, but thankfully my daughter ran up to me and excitedly grabbed my hand, easing my anxiety and pulling me towards the group. They all said hello and Mrs S handed me a cold beer and told me to take a seat and relax. Dave and Mr S had already started the grill and the twins were in the water swimming with Lisa close by at the shore.

I went and took a seat next to Julie, who was slathering a layer of sun block on our daughter.

"Babe. I think that's way too much sun block." I said and Julie turned and looked at me with wide eyes. It took me a moment for me to register what I had just said and I gave her an apologetic smile. "Sorry. It slipped out."

"Um. It's fine." Julie muttered then went back to her task.

"Daddy can you take me swimming?" Shania asked as she adjusted her pink bucket hat.

"Sure baby girl. Why don't you go and asked Nanna for one of the donut floats?"

Shania nodded then ran off towards her Nanna.

"Do you still have issues with lakes?" I asked Julie.

"Yeah. I can't go in past my knees." She answered and started rubbing sun block onto her legs and was distracting me big time.

I took a long swallow of beer then cleared my throat. "That's a big improvement." I said and was proud that she was starting to conquer her fear.

She smiled. "Yeah. Maybe one day I can actually take a dip without freaking out."

"You will. And I hope I get to see that as well."

She blushed then looked away. I wondered what that was all about. I was about to ask her but our daughter came barreling back and tried to pulled me up off of the blanket, I chuckled then stood up, then helped Julie up as well, and we both dutifully followed our daughter down to the shore.

"Shania wait for your father please." Julie said with panic rising in her voice.

I placed a gentle hand onto Julie's shoulder and felt her relax and blow out a breath.

"Baby girl. You must wait for an adult before going into the water okay?"

Shania nodded then hung her head. "Okay daddy. I'm sorry."

"It's fine honey. We just have to be careful okay?"

"Okay. I'll try to remember next time."

"Good girl." I said then proceeded to take my shirt off. I heard Julie gasp and knew she was checking me out.

I turned to her and watched as he eyes roamed over my stomach and chest and then stopped at her name along with Shania's. She stepped forward and traced her fingers over the tattoos as if she was in a trance and I was trying not to get excited from her touch. I didn't want her to stop but I had to get her to stop to save me the embarrassment.

I cleared my throat and she blushed and dropped her hand then took a step back. "SSorry." She stuttered.

I gave her a grin. "You can touch me all you want babe." I said with a wink, then took a hold of Shania's hand and walked with her into the water. I took a quick glance back and saw that Julie was still checking me out and I smiled with pride and satisfaction.

I played with my daughter in the water up until Julie called for us to come for lunch. She stood by the waters edge with a couple of towels for us as I waded back in, pulling Shania behind me, who was relaxing back on the donut.

I smirked as Julie watched the water drip off of my body and I had to clear my throat to stop her from ogling or else my blood will flow down to my boy down south and I didn't need my precious daughter to be scarred for life.

She blushed crimson again and shook her head with an apologetic smile and offered me a towel before wrapping our daughter up in hers.

I sat back down on the blanket and took over with drying Shania while Julie went to get her some food.

I pulled out some dry clothes for Shania and helped her pull them over her swimsuit. Julie returned with a two plates of food and handed both over to me.

"The one with half a mountain on it is yours." She said then went back to grab hers.

I grinned like a stupid idiot at her kind gesture. She could've told me to get off my ass and get my own food but instead she served me mine. She returned with her food and the drinks then took a seat next to me.

"Thanks for getting me my food Jules."

She shrugged. "No worries." She answered then handed me my can of soda.

*      *      *

I tried my luck when we were packing up that afternoon and asked Julie if her and Shania wanted a ride back home.

"Sure. I don't see no problems with that." Julie answered as she folded her picnic blanket. I smiled like a fool then helped her pack away her and Shania's items and carried them to my truck. Julie informed her parents that her and Shania were getting a ride with me and then we climbed into my truck and buckled up.

"So? Want to go for a little drive before going home?"

Both my girls nodded and made me the happiest man alive. I know I shouldn't be getting my hopes up, but I couldn't help but feel that maybe I finally have a chance at getting my family back or at least enjoy what it may feel like to have them back in my life. If only for a moment.