Chapter 15

Julie's pov

"Well, well, look who it is. I thought I heard that you were back in town."

I placed the menu down on the table and looked up at the voice.

My eyes bulged with surprise when I saw it was none other than my high school nemesis Kat Clarkson standing next to our table.

"I can't say that it's a pleasure to see you Kat." I said sitting back and crossing my arms.

"Hmm. Still holding grudges I see?"

"Nope. No grudges, you're just not on my favorite persons list. And I'd rather not have you here in front of my daughter chatting with me like we're old buddies." I answered then picked the menu back up.

"Ah. Yes. I did see your adorable daughter with her daddy and grandma over there by the soda fountain, and I must say, I don't see any resemblance towards Nick, or his mother."

I glared at her. "Do you want to repeat that again Kat?" I growled then got to my feet.

"Oh no need. Just making an observation, like everyone else in this town. See ya around." She answered with a smirk before walking out of the diner.

My fists were clenching and my nails biting into my palms as I watched after her. I was about to leave the table to go after her but Nick, Shania and Carol were suddenly taking their seats.

"Hey? You okay?" Nick asked and touched my arm.

I nodded then sat back down.  "Fine. Kat Clarkson decided to pop in and say hello." I answered through gritted teeth as I tried to control the anger in my voice.

His eyes turned dark and stormy. "What did she want?"

"Nothing. Just being Kat Clarkson. I'm gonna go to the restroom to wash up, can you order me a chicken caesar salad please?" I asked as I left the table.

I washed my hands and took my time until I calmed down, before joining them again. I'm not going to let Kat Clarkson ruin our lunch together. Me and Shania only had four days left of our visit before we were heading back home and I didn't want to sour today's lunch because of Kat.

I went for my run that afternoon. I was still riled up from my encounter with Kat that I needed to clear my head, so I pushed further and ran a few extra miles. I made it back home just as the sun was setting and walked straight to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water. Mom had already started cooking and my stomach grumbled loudly.

"Mmm something smells delicious. What's for dinner mom?" I asked and drained half of the water.

"Just a meatloaf honey. How was your run?"

"Great. I'm going to get cleaned up. Can you keep an eye out for Shania? Nick should be dropping her off soon."

"Sure." Mom answered with a nod. I drank the rest of my water then threw the empty bottle in the trash.

"Thanks mom." I said as I made my way upstairs.

I took longer than intended in the shower. The hot water was feeling awesome on my tired muscles and soothed them somewhat. But I knew that I would have to take it easy tomorrow and not push too much.

I dressed in loose shorts and a tank then piled my hair in a messy bun. I decided to get Shania's clothes ready for her bath then went downstairs in search for her.

I found her with her uncle Ricky but was interrupted by my cell before I can grab her for her bath. I gave her a smile and a little finger wave before I turned around and took the call.

"Hey Sarah." I answered with a huge smile.

"What the fuck is wrong with you? You broke up with Dean for Nick?"

My smile dropped from my face and I ran a hand through my hair. "Sarah listen. It's not like that." I answered while quickly making my way out the front door for some privacy.

"Like what? I happen to run into him and he tells me you broke up with him. He's fucking heart broken Julie. Why would you do that to the man who's been there for you huh? You dumped Dean for that cheating bastard! Do you want to be miserable again huh? Do you?"

I shook my head.  "No of course not. Can you shut up so I can explain myself."

"Fine. But hurry up."

"I know how Dean feels for me and I don't want him to be in a relationship with me because I can't love him like he wants me to. He deserves better than what I am offering Sarah."

"That's bullshit Julie! You guys were dating for a year. Why now. And when you finally go back home for a vacation? Did you hook up with Nick or something?"

"No of course not. You and me both know that I would never hurt Dean like that! How could you say that Sarah?"

"Look I'm sorry okay? I know you wouldn't. I'm just pissed that you hurt our friend like that."

"I'm disappointed in myself too, and I thought that I was doing the right thing here Sarah. I didn't want to string him along any further. Maybe he'll eventually move on and find a girl who will treat him better than I have. I've never deserved him in the first place."

"Jesus Christ. I wished you both had listened to me when you first hooked up, then maybe we wouldn't have this complication."

"I know Sarah. But we did and we can't change anything now. I'm just hoping that he'll be my friend again."

"No. It's not gonna happen Jules. He's too hurt and it's best you stay away from him and give him the space. Don't go forcing a friendship onto him, he'll just resent you more."

I winced ťhen sat down in the middle of my parents driveway. "He...he hates me?" I whispered.

"Hates a strong word Jules. But no, he doesn't hate you. He'll never hate you."

"Can...can you do me a favor Sarah? Can you tell Dean that I'm really sorry that I've hurt him. I didn't mean to, and thought I was doing the right thing by him." I said then hung up.

I switched my phone off. I didn't want her to comfort me. I deserved her anger, both her and Dean's anger.

She was right to yell at me. I did dump Dean. And in the back of mind I did it because of my feelings towards Nick.