Chapter 44

A/N: Sorry short chapter.

Nick's pov

I was watching her sleep and noticed that she was starting to get some color back into her skin and didn't look as pale as she was when she had been in the medically induced sleep two days ago.

Everyone had left to go home once visiting hours were over and I had practically begged Jo that I wanted to spend the night with Jules tonight.

Though I knew that I wasn't at fault. I needed to ease my guilt and make up for my fuck up before she got hurt.

Jo had relented after her husband talked to her, they both agreed to take care of Shania tonight and promised to drop her off at school. I also asked Chris to stay at mines so he could keep mom company.

I zoned out as I thought of the police arriving here earlier for Julie's  statement, but she had been sleeping deeply and we didn't want to wake her and interrupt her much needed rest.

Instead I took the detective's card and promised him that I'll call him once she woke and was ready to talk.

"What has you so deep in thought?"

My eyes focused on hers and smiled when I saw her beautiful green eyes studying me with concern.

"Hey beautiful. Had a nice nap?" I asked and kissed her lips.

She nodded. "I did. Now, are you going to answer my question?"

I chuckled then ran my fingers along her jawline.

"The police came by while you were alseep. They wanted to get your statement."

"Oh. When are they coming back?"

"They asked me to give them a call once you were awake and ready to talk. But if you think you can't manage-"

"- I can manage babe. Give them a call."

I studied her face looking for any signs of pain or discomfort.

She placed her hand on my arm. "I'm fine Nick. Give them a call."

I nodded then pulled the card out and made the phone call before hanging up.

"Nick?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you adjust the bed a little so I could sit up?"

"Sure baby." I answered then took a hold of the gadget and pressed the button

"Are you okay?" I asked with concern when I noticed her face pale slightly.

"Yeah just a little discomfort but I'm fine."

"Are you hungry?"

"No. Not really, but I'm sure you're gonna suggest that I need to eat something." She answered.

"You got that right. Your mom gave me strict instructions if I wanted to spend the night here with you."

She rolled her eyes. "Fine. Would you let the nurses know to get something for me?"

"Of course my darling."

I went to the nurses desk and ordered Jules her meal then quickly went back and sat beside her as we waited.

"Nick?"

"Yes babe?"

"I - I want to apologize for the way I acted before all of this happened. I was disrespectful and I should have valued your opinion... I'm sorry that I didn't listen to you."

I shook my head.

"No Nick. I need to stop being so stubborn and wanting things my way all of the time. It's hurting you in the process."

"Babe stop. I've already forgiven you. Besides, I should be the one groveling at your feet. If I had answered your phone calls you wouldn't be here in the first place."

"Nobody could've predicted this happening to me Nick. It's not your fault, so please stop beating yourself up over something that we
had no control over."

"But I could've lost you." I whispered and hung my head.

"But you didn't."

I shook my head then took her hand. "I never want to feel so vulnerable and useless ever again. I am supposed to be there to protect you both."

"And you still are. Baby you're doing such an excellent job looking after me and Shania. Don't ever doubt yourself. Okay?"

We stared at each other for a few seconds before I relented. "Okay." I answered then leaned forward and gave her a kiss.

I pulled away slightly. "I love you Julie. Never scare me like that ever again."

She nodded then touched my cheek. "I promise."

I took her hand and kissed it then held it against my cheek.

"Nick?"

"Yeah baby?"

She closed her eyes for a minute then took a shuddering breath before opening her eyes that were filled with a fearful look.

"I - I know who attacked me."

"Who baby. Who did it?"

Tears filled her eyes and spilled onto her cheeks and her lips quivered.

"It - it was Chase." She choked out.

I stared at her not really believing what she was saying.

"Chase? My ex best friend Chase?"

I should've said that differently because her expression changed to an unknown emotion and I could see her shutting down. "Yes Nick." She whispered then looked away from me while wiping away her tears.

"No baby. I believe you please don't get upset with me." I pleaded and stood up taking her face in my hands so she was looking at me. 

"I believe you Jules." I repeated. "I just can't believe he would hurt you like this."

"Well he did Nick...I don't know what I did to him to have him try and kill me."

I flinched at her words. Then felt the anger build as those words sank in.

That fucker tried to kill her. I'm gonna find him and kill him with my bare hands.

"What ever you're thinking. Don't do it. We need you with us and not behind a jail cell." Jules said and bought me out of my thoughts.

I shook my head. "I'm not gonna leave your side baby. I'm angry and betrayed that my long time friend would ever think to hurt the mother of my child. I don't understand the reason behind his motives."

She sniffed then wiped cheeks. "I don't know either Nick. But he's still out there somewhere and may try to finish the job off."