Chapter 22

Nick's pov

I arrived just after 9am and knocked on the apartment door. I could hear little feet sprinting to the door and Julie firmly telling her not to unlock the door.

I waited for the locks to disengage and my daughter peeked her head around the door and gave me a beautiful smile.

"Hi baby girl."

"Daddy!" She shrieked and wrapped her little arms around my leg. I laughed then reached down to pick her up and hugged her while planting kisses on top of her head.

"Come in Nick." Julie said and opened the door wider. It was then I noticed that she was dressed for work, wearing a dark knee high skirt and white button down shirt tucked in. My eyes ran down her legs and to the heels she was wearing.

"You look beautiful Jules." I said and stepped into the apartment with our daughter still wrapped tightly around me.

"Thanks Nick." She answered. "Did you have breakfast?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. You better head off to work."

"Are you sure? I can fix you something before I leave?"

"I'm sure."

"Okay. Well I guess I'll see you guys tonight." She said and grabbed her hand bag and keys, taking the apartment keys off and handing it to me.

"Oh and Jules. Me and Shania will cook dinner tonight." I added as I followed her to the door.

She smiled appreciatively. "Thanks Nick. That'll be awesome. I'm a bit tied down at work and am a little exhausted when we come home at night."

"That's why I'm here Jules. Okay?"

She nodded. "Okay. You guys have fun and try not to burn the place down." She said before giving Shania a kiss.
"Love you baby."

She hesitantly looked at me but in the end gave me a small smile and left with a wave.

I looked down at my daughter and smiled. "What was that about?"

She shrugged. "I don't know daddy."

I gave Shania the ground rules on activities. She had to pick something that wouldn't break my bank, after all, I was here for a few weeks and needed to use what money I have wisely and also help Jules with groceries and other things.

She didn't know it yet, but I planned to stay here with her and Shania. My brother lived across the city and it would be too much of a pain to drive back and forth everyday, especially if I had to be here at a certain time in the morning and not mention the amount of gas I'll be using every day.

Shania was unsure what to pick so I suggested that we go to the beach for a swim then get some ice cream.

She was satisfied with that and ran to her room to change into her suit.

Meanwhile I sent a text through to Chris to let him know that I was in town but that I was going to stay at Julie's. I then went to find a couple of towels and called for Shania to grab some spare clothes as well.

I went back to the kitchen and grabbed two bottles of water and some fruit for our snacks, I decided that we'll grab lunch at one of those food trucks parked around the area.

"Baby girl. Where does your mom leave the carry bags that you use when going out?"

"In the hall closet daddy." She called back. I smiled then went in search for the bag in question.

"Baby girl. Does mom have a beach umbrella?" I called out.

"I think so daddy but I don't know where it is."

I decided that I'll pull up at Walmart to buy one on our way then packed our things and locked the apartment behind me.

The beach was a little crowded but I found a spot where we had our own space. I opened the umbrella I purchased then stabbed it into the sand then placed our belongs under it while scanning the beach for suspect thieves, not that we had valuables with us besides my keys but maybe I'll just wade in the water while I keep a watchful eye on my daughter while she swam.

I rubbed some sunblock on her exposed skin then on myself before taking a hold of her hand and walking with her down the the waters edge. She was content with playing in the shallow while I stood and watched over her and kept an eye on the time, I didn't want her staying out in the sun for too long.

After two hours out, it was time to call it a day.  I took her to the showers to wash off then asked her to go change while I stood outside of the small colorful change room.

"Excuse me?" A very feminine voice said behind me. I turned around and was met by a beautiful blonde woman in her very skimpy bikinis.

"Yes?" I asked and kept my eyes on her face.

"I was watching you with your little girl and thought I'd come up and say hello. I'm Ruby." She said then held her hand out.

I shook it because I didn't want to be a rude ass. "Nick."

"Nick. It's nice to meet you. I'm just going to come out with it, but would you like to have dinner with me sometime?"

"I'm flattered. I really am. But I already have someone special in my life."

Her face morphed into disappointment. "Oh. Well. Of course you do. She's a very lucky lady who ever she is."

I shook my head. "No. I'm the lucky one."

She nodded then gave me a small smile and walked away.

"Who was that daddy?" Shania suddenly asked from behind me and made me jump out of my skin.

"No one baby girl. C'mon let's go get something to eat then head home to cook mommy something special."

We pulled into the grocery store and bought our ingredients for dinner tonight. There was only one thing I knew how to cook good and that was spaghetti and meat balls. 

I had Shania wash her hands while I set up our station at the small dining table. I noticed Julie had a set of kid friendly knives for Shania and pulled one out, maybe I'll get her to make our salad.

Shania came running back and parked herself in a chair. "I'm ready daddy."

"Great." I answered then washed my hands and wiping them dry with some paper towels.

"Ok. We're going to start making the meatballs then while I'm cooking them you're going to make the salad."

"Really? All by myself?" She questioned excitedly.

I smiled. "Yes baby girl. But I'm going to be watching and guiding you so you'll have to listen very carefully to my instructions. Okay?"

She nodded.  "Okay daddy."