Chapter 28

Nick's pov

I woke up the following morning and groaned as I peeled myself from the uncomfortable couch. I quietly grabbed my clothes from Julie's room then went to brush my teeth and have a quick shower.

I dressed then went to wake Shania and got her ready for school.

We ate breakfast together and heard Julie as she was just rising out of bed.

She ventured out after using the bathroom and still looked to be waking up.

"Morning baby." She said through a yawn and gave Shania a kiss. She gave me an uncertain look and continued on to the kitchen.

She probably thought that I was still pissed about Dean's visit and didn't want to talk her. Of course my actions last night probably didn't help after I gave her the silent treatment and wouldn't talk to her. She finally gave up and told me to sleep on the couch.

I shook my head then picked up my bowl and went to place it into the sink before I turned and pulled her into my arms, ignoring the fact that she was tense in my arms.

"I'm sorry baby. I was being an ass last night." I said and buried my nose in her hair and breathing her in.

She sighed then her arms wrapped around me and her body started to relax.

I pulled back and kissed her forehead. "I'm sorry for making things awkward between us last night. I was being an idiot."

She placed her cheek against my chest and stayed silent.

"It's my job to protect you and Shania, I'll be doing that until the day I die." I added.

"I know Nick. And I love you more for it. But you have to understand where I am coming from with Dean. We needed to clear the air between us and I needed to tell him that what happened wasn't his fault. He's going through a difficult time as it is."

"I know. I was angry and I guess a little jealous."

She shook her head but remained silent. I guess there was nothing more to be said.

"Are we okay? Can I sleep in the bed with you tonight?"

She gave me a small smile the  nodded. "Yeah. I didn't sleep well last night because you weren't there." She said then ducked her head.

I placed a finger under her chin and gently lifted her head so she was looking at me. "I had a horrible sleep as well. And I'm going to start saving to buy a more comfortable couch before I'm tossed in the dog house again." I told her and kissed the tip of her nose.

I stood in the garage as my new boss pointed to a car that needed a basic service.

"Will you be alright?" He asked and wiped his hands on his rag.

"Yes sir, this will be a breeze."

"Good. I'll be occupied with the Ford station wagon over there and don't want to be interrupted too much, the owner will be back for her after lunch. And then we can work on the jeep together."

I gave him a nod and he walked away. I turned back to my job. It was a VW beetle and I knew that I would get the job done in under two hours.

I threw on the new overalls I was given then organized all of my tools then got down to business.

Although I was doing just fine Frank couldn't help himself and came over now and then to silently watch me work, which kind of intimated me a little and I was hoping that I wouldn't screw anything up in front of him and give him more of reason to dislike me.