Chapter 10

Nick's pov

I was rushing around getting the gear ready while trying not to collide into my mom, who volunteered to make our lunches.

I felt like a nervous teenager going on his very first date and making sure that everything was perfect.

I wanted to make a good impression so Julie would start opening up to me more and hopefully, instilling her trust into me again.

I wiped the sweat off of my forehead and threw the last of the fishing gear onto the back of my truck. I checked my watch and knew that Julie and Shania were probably on their way over.

I walked back inside the house to check on my mom's progress and asked if I can help.

"I'm almost done son. Take a seat and relax, you're acting like a teenage girl."

"I just want things to be perfect that's all."

"This is Julie we're talking about, she's not going to care if things aren't perfect. So stop fussing."

"I know Mom. But I want to show her that I really am trying here." I answered then grabbed a bottled water out of the fridge.

"I'm glad you two are trying to sort things out Nicky. I've missed that girl so much, plus, I want more grand babies from you both as well."

"Now you're pushing it old girl. And besides, we have to actually be together for that to happen." I said then heard Julie's car pull into the driveway.

"They're here." I happily said then went to the front door to meet them.

I watched as my girls got out of their car both holding their hats and of course Julie holding her ever present bag.

Shania ran up to me and hugged me. "Hi daddy."

"Hi baby girl. Are you ready for our little adventure today?"

"Yes! Are we going on the boat again?"

I smiled. "Yes we are. I'm just waiting for grandma. She wanted to make our  lunches today."

"Did she make cookies?" Shania asked but ran into the house, not waiting for my reply.

"Your mom's making lunch huh?"

I grinned and shrugged. "She volunteered. Would you rather eat the food I make or my mom's?"

"Good point. But I'm sure your cooking isn't that bad."

"Thanks. Come on inside. We'll be heading off as soon as mom is done." I said and monitored with my head.

"Is Carol coming with us?"

I shook my head and held the door open for her. "No, it's just the three of us. Mom has plans again. I'm starting to think she's hiding a man from me."

"Really? That's so awesome." Julie said with excitement.

I frowned. "No. It's not. I need to meet this dude first."

Julie rolled her eyes then walked by me and leaving behind that sophisticated scent that I was starting to crave.

I shook my head then followed her. Our daughter was sitting at the counter and eating a banana while conversing with her grandma.

I stood beside Julie at the doorway as we watched their interaction. I felt Julie rest her hand on my arm and I looked down at her with shock.

"She's growing up so fast Nick. We'll wake up one day and bam, she'll be a teenager."

I shook my head in denial. "Nope. No way. I'm going to lock her up as soon as she turns eight."

Julie laughed and lifed her head to look at me with a glowing smile. "That's next year."