Chapter 6

Nick's pov

I shouldn't be doing this to her, but I just can't help myself. She needs to know that I want her. That I've always wanted her and that I've never stopped loving her.

I know she still has feelings for me, hell, I can practically see it in her eyes and in the way her her breathing changes whenever I stand too closely to her.

Why does she have to be stubborn and fight against the attraction we have for each other?

"I'm going to go and check on Shania."  Julie says as I take a step back and give her some space.

"She's fine Jules." I say to her. "Stop running away."

She frowns then shakes her head. "I, I'm not running away." She stuttered.

I smile at her and shake my head. "Yes you are. Why else would you want to check on Shania when you know that she is perfectly fine in there with my mom."

Her mouth opens and closes like a fish and she avoids my eyes.

I want to kiss her so badly but I know that it will scare her, so much so that she may even leave for the city. I have to be patient and not push her too soon or too much. Instead, I lean back against the banister.

"I haven't been seeing anyone for almost a year now." I confess and look over at her. "I don't even go out drinking anymore and I've been staying here whenever Chase throws his parties."

She looks surprised but doesn't say anything.

"I know I wasn't the best boyfriend in the world. And because of my immaturity I ruined the best ever relationship I've ever had. I know it doesn't make up for the tons of hurt I put you through...but I really am so sorry for the way I've treated you. I took you for granted and now I realize what I'm missing."

"Nick." She whispered.

I shook my head. " I know. And I'm sorry for bringing it up. Forget I said anything." I said sadly and was about to walk away before she placed a hand on my shoulder, stopping me.

"Why are you telling me this?" She asked, her voice filled with different emotions.

I turn around to face her. "Because I hate the fact that you're with someone else. I hate the fact that I can't touch or kiss you and I hate the fact that because of my stupidity I lost the right to call you mine!"

I watch as her eyes waters and I feel like such a big jerk. "I'm sorry Jules. Please don't cry." I say and take a step toward her and gently caress her cheeks with my hands. "I'm sorry please don't get upset."

She places her soft hands on top of mine and looks up at me. "I wish you were this passionate when we were together Nick. Then maybe our lives would've turned out differently."

I shake my head as I continue to caress her soft skin. "We were too young back then Jules and I was a little selfish prick." I said with a smile.

She bows her head but is still holding both my hands which haven't stop caressing her cheeks.

"Do you still love me Julie?" I whispered.

Her eyes nearly pop out of her head and she finally takes a step back and away from my touch.

"Do you still love me Julie?" I ask again but a little more firmer.

She stands there and silently watches me and then she starts chewing her bottom lip. I want to repeat the question but her mouth is distracting me big time.

"I, I can't answer that Nick."

"You can't or you won't?"

She shakes her head then tucks some loose strands of hair behind her ears.

"I can't."

"Why? Because of your boyfriend?" I say and the little green monster pops in for a visit.

Now I've done it. She looks pissed.

"Dean has nothing to do with it! So keep him out of it."

She's about to stomp away but I catch her arm and spin her to face me and hold her gently but firmly.

"If you don't want to answer me then fine. Because listen here JulieAnn Elizabeth Smith, I've never stopped loving you. You and that little girl in there hold my heart and I will stop at nothing to defend you both, I will kill anyone who even tries to harm you."

"But who's gonna protect me from you Nick?"

I feel like she just slapped me and I immediately drop my hands and take a step back from her.

Damn that hurt.

"Do you really think that I would hurt you again Julie?"

She quickly shakes her head and looks apologetic. "I'm sorry Nick. I know you've changed."

I frown. "But that's not enough, is it?"

"What are you talking about?"

"What do I have to do to win you back Julie?"

"I'm in a relationship Nick." She's says gobsmacked.

"You're with someone you don't love Julie. Do you think it's fair on the poor guy? What if one day he were to propose to you? Then what?"

She shakes her head. "He won't. We've only been together for a year."

I shrugged. "So what? I've seen the way he looks at you Jules. He's head over heels in love with you and yet you don't feel the same way."

"That's different."

"How? Better yet. Why is it different? Because you're in love with someone else?"

"This discussion is over Nick. Please drop our daughter off after dinner." She says and walked back inside. I sighed then slap my forehead.

What happened with taking things easy with her you idiot?

I shake my head then head back inside. I could her Julie saying goodbye to my mom and telling Shania she'll see her later before I hear the front door open and closes.

I guess I'll have to let her cool down for a day or two before I try to persuade her again.