IX. BREAKIN' THE RULES

CHAPTER NUMBER NINE:
— sneakin' around after hours
( lucky fortune )

IT WAS NOW Boxing Day, and I was currently spending some of my free time in the library; re-reading over books that were all in reference to Nicholas Flamel

IT WAS NOW Boxing Day, and I was currently spending some of my free time in the library; re-reading over books that were all in reference to Nicholas Flamel. While doing so, a rather familiar student came swaggering in, roughly running his fingers through his sandy coloured hair; mine however, was messily tied up into a loose bun.

"Oh, here we go." I muttered into myself, digging my hand into the side of my head. I made slight eye contact with him, as he just couldn't resist making his way over to my desk.

"What a coincidence I just happened to find you here." Elphias stated in a gentle voice. "Mind if I join you?"

"Well you already seem to have rudely interrupted my reading, so I don't see why not." I replied sarcastically, ushering him to sit on the chair opposite from mine.

He took a seat. "You can't already be studying." He said, eyeing up the book I was currently reading. "The exams aren't until next May."

"I'm not studying." I stated. "I'm just doing some light reading." His eyes seemed to widen once I'd said this, noticing that the book I had couldn't have been used for just some 'light reading.' He scratched his head firmly.

"This, is light?" He asked, unable to believe my statement.

"Yes, it is." I responded, gazing up at him quite fiercely. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have some 'light' reading to catch up on." I smiled at him sarcastically, whilst I began manoeuvring out of my seat, whilst picking up the book I was reading prior to his appearance.

"I'm surprised the sorting hat placed you into Ravenclaw." He paused. "Most students there tend to be accepting of others and are rather academically motivated." He grinned.

I immediately stopped what I was doing, becoming angered by his attitude. "What are you trying to say, Lynch? That I'm not academically motivated? Well, I would much rather be known as a Ravenclaw than a brainless Slytherin such as yourself." I paused for a moment, coming up for air. "If I wasn't 'academically motivated', what in merlin's name would I be doing in a library?"

My voice was gradually becoming louder without my acknowledgement, as many heads began turning in my direction. This was when I caught sight of Madame Pince, furiously making her way towards Elphias and I.

"In case you have both forgotten, this a library." She scoffed. I nodded sheepishly while Elphias' glare was fixated on the ground. "Ten points will be deducted from each of your houses. Next time you are here, show a little more respect!" And with that, she huffed and wandered back over to the restricted section.