XXV. POTIONS AND PENSIEVES

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE:
the truth is finally nearing . . .
( reviewing those final memories )

    IT WASN'T UNTIL FRIDAY OF THE following week that I'd seen Malfoy again

    IT WASN'T UNTIL FRIDAY OF THE following week that I'd seen Malfoy again. His face was looking swelled along with a purple bruise that coated over his pale nose. To be blunt, I'd never seen anyone take a punch in the nose so damn seriously — he was acting as if he was a lone survivor of a horrific battle.

But during that time, I hadn't been thinking at all about Malfoy and how 'injured' he was; the humiliating thought of the dementors made it hard to even think about anything. Obviously I knew I wasn't the one student afraid of these creatures, but had everyone collapsed when they saw one? No, that was just me and Harry, so not everybody knew precisely how deadly a dementor could be — and, to be honest, neither did I...

    And, that scream. I'd spent countless times convincing myself that they were real, it was just a case of nobody else hearing them. I had a feeling that all of these mishaps were occurring on purpose — so, when the day ended, I was going to head up to Professor Dumbledore's office. Like I've said before, I was confident that he knew... something...

"Anyone finished that essay for Potions yet?" Hermione asked openly as the six of us were heading to the Great Hall,  in the hope that scraps of food would be remaining from breakfast. Classes didn't start for another half an hour, so there was plenty of time.

        "No." Ron snorted as we all took a seat. "I'll probably start it tonight or something."

    "It's due for today, Ron."

    "No it's not; it's tomorrow!"

    "No, it isn't!" Hermione retorted.

    "Is..." His voice lowered.

And that was how the six of us spent the first ten minutes of our morning: Ron and Hermione continued to argue about the due dates of essays strongly, Lisa gazed around the room, oblivious to what was happening, Miles had left shortly after to attend one of his many Quidditch practices of the season, and Harry and I just talked, not even attempting to stop the two Gryffindors from shouting.

* * *

"I still can't believe you punched Draco Malfoy in the nose!" Lisa beamed as the two of us were brewing up a potion. I had told her along with the rest of them about my 'small' encounter with Malfoy about a week ago. As you could probably well imagine, I received several gasps and mouths that couldn't seem to close.