XVI. THE DUELING CLUB

CHAPTER NUMBER SIXTEEN:
scared, crow? you wish malfoy . . .
( a hogwarts duelling club )

  DECEMBER HAD SOON arrived, spreading a damp chill over the castle grounds

  DECEMBER HAD SOON arrived, spreading a damp chill over the castle grounds. Ever since Gryffindor student Colin Creevey had been petrified, students were becoming rather wary of their surroundings, trying to prevent the same horrific trauma happening to them. Meanwhile, Hogwarts had been experiencing pounding rain for days on end, meaning that the vibrant flower beds outside had gradually turned into muddy streams, and many Quidditch matches were cancelled.

  Oliver Wood didn't approve of this decision.

"First Colin, now Mrs Norris?" Harry groaned, taking another small bite out of his early morning toast. "I can't believe Filch actually thought it was me who petrified his cat." It was true. Once Harry had found the now petrified Mrs Norris, Filch had taken it upon himself to blame him entirely, even going as far as threatening to kill him.

"You know the school have decided to set up their very own duelling club because of all this?" Hermione announced, after being quite for what seemed like an eternity. "I don't know about you lot, but I'll certainly be attending, your welcome to join if you'd like."

"A duelling club?" I asked rhetorically. "That seems like a whole lot of fun, shall we all go?" I then openly asked the group.

"Sounds good." They all said in chorus.

* * *

         So it was settled, later on that night, the six of us made our way back to the Great Hall. Every dining table had suddenly vanished and a golden stage had appeared, lit up by an overhang of over a thousand floating candles. The school looked more packed than it had ever done before, as students had their wands in hand, looking rather excited.

"Who do you think will be our teacher?" Hermione asked, as the six of us edged our way into the centre of the rowdy crowd.

"Well, as long as it isn't —"

Sigh, it was indeed Gilderoy Lockhart.

Gather round everyone! Can you all see me, brilliant!" Lockhart exclaimed as he swiftly strut towards the middle of the stage, accompanied by an angry looking Professor Snape. The noisy chatter of the crowd began to die, as Gilderoy cleared his throat, readying to begin his speech.

"Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start up a little duelling club — mostly because of the unfortunate turn of recent events." He frowned before continuing. "Before we get started, I'd like to put forward a few ground rules that must not be broken under any circumstances whatsoever."