XI. THE ELIXR OF LIFE

CHAPTER NUMBER ELEVEN:
— heartbreak & flustered cheeks
( unable to believe the truth )

  AFTER THE end-of-term banquet had come to an end, Miles, Lisa and I were all heading back to the Ravenclaw common room

  AFTER THE end-of-term banquet had come to an end, Miles, Lisa and I were all heading back to the Ravenclaw common room. It was rather crucial that we returned early, as we still had a lot of packing to do.

While doing so, we began to hear quite a loud whispering sound. We all came to a standstill for a moment, as we were eager to start eavesdropping on the conversation.

"That sounds just like Professor McGonagall," Lisa muttered, although it was loud enough for both Miles and me to hear. He nodded, whilst I simply stayed quiet in order to listen.

"What will we tell the girl, Albus?"

"We have no choice Minerva but to tell her the honest truth. She is unable to return home. Because of the stone and its powers' expiration, Mable Crow is no longer able to live off of the Elixir." He paused. "And will soon die."

Lisa and Miles turned around to look at me but it was already too late. I'd already begun bolting down the corridor, the world around me became a blur, and so did all the sounds. Everything was gone. A stray tear traced down my cheek, and before I knew it, floodgates opened. So many tears burst forth like water from a dam. I felt as if my heart had shattered into more than a million pieces.

After what felt like an endless amount of time of running, I stumbled upon a bathroom. It was my last resort to numb all of the agonizing screams pounding through my head. I entered ruthlessly, and as my knees began to tremble, I collapsed to the ground, wincing in pain.

Why me?

My Aunt was the only person I had ever given my trust to, I told her everything. If she were to die, what would I do? Where would I go? I had no clue, none whatsoever.

She was the only family I had left.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop screeching. Until I heard footsteps, they were getting louder with every step they took. I barely managed to look up, and saw Professor McGonagall, staring down at me. She quickly pulled me off the ground, I didn't care. I sobbed into her chest unceasingly.

"Whatever am I going to do with you?" She breathed, stroking the back of my head soothingly. Lisa and Miles suddenly came bursting in, looking quite worried.

I looked up at them with flustered cheeks.

"I'm sorry I ran off like that."

* * *

McGonagall had escorted me back to the Ravenclaw Tower, where she then left me in the company of Lisa and Miles. They both decided it would be best that I get some rest. They'd insisted that they would pack my trunk for the morning, and simply told me to 'put my head down for a while'.