chapter 30

Y/n p.o.v.

A few hours had passed and we had just finished off dessert. Dylan called for the check and we made our way out of the restaurant. "It was so great meeting you!" I said to Dayna pulling her in for a hug. "Same to you both, we'll have to do this again soon."

After saying our goodbyes we headed off our separate ways. Cole held my hand and I pulled it over my head so his arm was across my shoulders. "She was lovely" Cole said.

"Yeah I really like her, she's good for him." I replied

"Not gonna lie I'm glad he found someone, now I can stop worrying about him going after you." Cole said jokingly, nudging me with his hip. Although his tone wasn't serious, I could tell he was actually relieved. "You never had to worry" I said smiling up at him.

We continued walking until we got to our apartment, Cole fished out his keys and unlocked the door. I stepped inside and slipped off my heels, turning to face Cole. He had a small grin on his face "I like it when you're a lot shorter than me."

"But it's harder to do this" I stepped onto my toes and leant up to give him a quick kiss.

"But I could just do this" He lifted me by my waist and I instinctively wrapped my legs around his torso. We both chuckled and he put me down. "Lets watch a movie" He said kissing my forehead and heading over to the TV.

"No, I'm definitely going to fall asleep" I said pouting and going to change out of my dress.

"Then I'll take you to your room" he dismissed my argument with a shrug.

He sat on the couch and I followed his actions when I exited my bedroom. Watching the opening to Pulp Fiction, I snuggled into his side and as predicted I eventually fell asleep.

---

I woke up in my own bed, feeling completely rested. I got up to wash my face and shower, my mind naturally wondered to Cole. He was acting incredibly nice recently, constantly making me happy and doing so much for me. I knew how hard he was trying, I just didn't know how to move things forward. I'd forgiven him now so I wasn't acting like I was angry but there was no ignoring the past. Maybe we didn't necessarily have to talk about it, it certainly would be easier to just forget about it.

It was still quite early so I decided to return the favour to Cole by making him breakfast. After cooking up some bacon and eggs I brought it to Cole's bedroom only to find he wasn't in bed.

I went back to the kitchen to look for a note from Cole but found nothing. Shrugging, I sat down to eat my breakfast, just as I took a seat Cole walked through the door shuffling through our mail. "Fortnightly payment for you and a lovely handwritten letter, I'm assuming a family member?" Cole said handing my two envelopes. I paused slightly at the mention of family member and quickly swiped the letters.

I continued eating my bacon and eggs "I made you some breakfast" I told Cole.

"Thanks love" he said taking a seat across from me.

We sat in silence until we had finished. I cleaned my dish and went straight to my room to read the letter I received.

I quickly tore it open and instantly recognised the writing as my awful step-fathers.

Y/n,

In just a few weeks I will be visiting the city and I was hoping to see you during my stay. I understand we haven't had the best relationship however you stopped all contact with me after your mother passed and it's only right to continue being a family.

I would appreciate you contacting me on xxx-xxx-xxx, it's what your mother would have wanted.

Sending love from your father.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. Firstly how did he know where to send the letter? Secondly, he was hardly my father, I rolled my eyes at the title he gave himself. I was mostly angry at the use of the phrase 'continue being a family.' My mum and I were a family, he was just a gold digger who knew my mums time was short, luckily for me her fortune went straight to me. That's probably why he wanted to see me, he just wants money.

Sighing, I scrunched up the letter and threw it in the trash and began getting ready for college; not letting any thoughts of that asshole get in the way.

---