Treadmill Races [G.L.]

Type: Oneshot

Pairings: Greg Lestrade x Reader

Warnings: None, it's pretty obvious I've never actually been to a gym, instead of only using my music taste I made it optional

Dedicated to the lovely @drayizzle

The detective inspector stepped through the door, the dark morning sky behind him. The building was quiet, only the faint murmur of the morning news that came from a TV on the wall and the music playing quietly overhead could be heard. During daytime hours the gym was filled with life, people chatting and weights banging, the bass of the music shaking the room. But just before sunrise, when the sun's rays didn't quite peek through the endless black of the night, Greg found he was drawn to it more. A few people were here for the peaceful atmosphere, while others were trying to cram in a workout before their work day. Greg was somewhere in between the two types, he like many others he had his own music playing through his headphones. He stretched and climbed on the treadmill, he was usually the only one to use them this early.

At least that's what he thought.

He queued up another song when he heard the front door open, he looked up to find the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen enter the gym. Her (hair length/hair color) locks tied back in a ponytail, dressed in black running shorts with a (Favorite color) tank that read "Exercise? I thought you said extra fries." He grinned slightly at it. That's when he realized he was staring, he looked back down at the treadmill and set his distance and speed. The woman walked past him as she did he could hear (Heavy guitar/auto tuned beat/classical) blasting from her headphones, she stepped onto the treadmill and set her speed. He attempted to focus on what was happening in front of him, which was pretty much nothing. He looked over, frowning when she saw her speed was set higher than his. He bumped his up a bit, of course it wasn't long til he felt the difference when his breathing became more rapid. He noticed her look over, she pressed a button and bumped hers up, giving him a small smirk. He returned it, bumping his up.

They did this for the rest of the week, working out in silence but having silent races. They would go until usually until one person gave out, and it seemed to be a pattern. He would win, then she would win, then he would win and so on. But never once could he work up the nerve to actually speak to her, he would watch and observe but gain nothing. After the end of his past marriage, well as his friends at work had said, he'd lost his touch. Now he felt like a teenage boy terrified to talk to the girl sitting in front of him in class, he knew he wouldn't learn about whether she was single or anything about her by just looking.

That's when he had an idea that would make or break his future with the young woman running next to him, he had to talk to her, perhaps if he was feeling extra brave he'd be able to ask her out for coffee.

The next morning he walked into the gym, only for the other treadmill to be empty. He frowned slightly, he stepped onto his to find a piece of paper folded up by the screen. He opened it to find a phone number scribbled across it, a small message under it.

Call me, we should get coffee sometime

~ (y/n)

a/n

Hey hey look whose back with another imagine

I hope y'all enjoyed

Keep your eyes open on my first imagine book because I may be posting some part twos from old imagines there ;)

Love y'all

Bye bye for now