Miya

"Would you like to know your dearest cousin, my ex, and good ol' King Estes'  greatest secret?"

A terse silence filled the air. Miya narrowed her eyes at Alice, remaining mute.

"What your King did was simply beautiful, Miya .
Many years ago, Estes and I created the race that nearly destroyed your Elven race and every other races. Such great times. Oh yes, I  wasn't the only villain in the story. "

Miya gulped hard. Disbelieving. Why was Alice suddenly sprouting lies?

"Still don't believe me? Do you know why my lovely Daemons automatically heal when they lifesteal or drain someone else's blood? Our plan was simple; he'd infuse his healing powers in order to make the Daemons almost invincible to anything, whilst my blood magic takes part in doing the crit damage. And when our powers combined together....well , you already know the results. "

Miya paled. She chanted in her mind that the witch was only deceiving her, but another part of her believed the truth when heard.

Keeping her voice from trembling, she asked, "You mean to say that King Estes willingly created the Daemon race?... No, no. This can't be. My King is kind-hearted. He walks the path of light! He'll do no such thing!"

"In this world, no one is completely pure or harbours a heart of gold even after living for centuries. If you still think this is a farce..do the only thing that would reveal the truth; ask him yourself.  Your doubts will no longer remain. And you'd know...how much of an 'angel' your King truly is. When you finally find the truth, we'll meet again..."

Miya woke up, gasping for breath, her heart was thundering so intensely, it was almost painful. She was back in her moonlit chamber. She took a few calming breaths and noticed a wet substance touch her leg. She hadn't realized she was crying until a few more tears dropped to her skin.
She tried to minimize her hiccups, and failed in doing so.

She was crying out of burning fury and grief. Fury for herself because she half- believed every word Alice had said and for King Estes, for what he may or may not have done. Grief for the fallen Elves, slain into ashes for defending Elvenland.

Miya truly didn't want to jump to conclusions but here she was. She needed time to think. She had so many doubts, questions, all bottled up.

She calmed down and ceased from crying, and while musing over the things that occurred, she heard the tiniest sounds of footsteps outside her room.

The person knocked three times, then ever so slowly opened the door.

Miya quickly wiped her tear-stained face and positioned herself as if she was asleep.

She'd recognize Alucard's voice anywhere. It was rugged,  nothing soft in it yet he had a kind voice that soothes you and makes you feel at ease when you're with him.

He didn't need to get involved with Elven matters, no need for him to meddle. It seemed like Alucard heard her cry...of course he would, the two rooms next to her were all vacant.

The man actually looked so rumpled and uncomfortable that she felt a little bad for denying the truth.

Finally, after conversing oddly  with him for two minutes, he deserted the room as sneakily as he'd entered.

It was time to rest. Miya had her own battle to confront tomorrow.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

She faced the day like a ghost, flitted through the hallways and  dining hall, in an almost robotic way.  She didn' t feel anything nor cared about anything. Her mind was too preoccupied; brimming of unlocked secrets, vile witches, and a pile of questions.

Miya headed towards the throne room, antsy to just end the nagging frustration of not knowing. She commanded the guards to depart and just survey the watch towers. Since they trusted their Captain, they easily fled.

She knocked twice then entered the room.

There he stood. Tension charged through her body as she watched him roll a letter and meticulously clip it to the claws of his favourite royal messenger bird, Atruis'.

Estes calmly looked up when she entered the throne room.
He didn't look like the villain that Alice accused him of.

"What's the matter, Miya? You look pale."

He seemed concerned enough, brows furrowed in a knot.
Miya stared at him, wishing the answer was negative. Still, she decided to get to the point.

"Did you take part in the creation of the Daemon race?"

King Estes immediately stilled and turned to look at her with more concentration. He was silent then his expression morphed into that of  sorrow and utter regret.

He sat mute for several seconds then spoke;

"I-I cannot deny anything because I was there, I dropped a bit of my magic in that  cauldron, and I watched the first Daemon come to life with my own eyes."

He paused for a second, as if remembering a time gone by.

"But I swear I never intended for it to serve the darkness----"

"You never intended? YOU made a race of blood-sucking Daemons and claim that you never meant to harm anyone? Have you even  seen those ugly monsters? Only a fool would believe they were created for a greater good!"

"Watch your tongue, Captain. I am still your King and you, MY servant. Our creation wasn't termed as Daemons back then.. we named them the Snomaeds; loyal protectors of the Land of Dawn. A vast difference from what they've become as of today. I was still a young Prince,and things changed when I left Alice. She used to be a charismatic, kind witch and still as achingly powerful--- if not more. Her blood magic was like a shining star amongst the ordinary abilities of her own ilk. But weeks after we parted,  she began practicing the dark arts of black magic. I heard rumors that she roamed various realms to invest herself more to the world of the  darkest magic in every shape or form. It was later when I discovered, for she attacked an innocent village, that she'd twisted our Snomaeds into something gruesome,  creatures of evil."

"You didn't even try to stop her? You just let her be, and let her darkness grow? I cannot fathom how you became King when you've done such grievous acts for a common criminal to get punishable by death; consorting with the enemy, performance of dark arts, treason.

Our kingdom is nearing its ultimate fall..and yet you lock yourself  in your blasted throne?! How can you even look me in the eye, King Estes? Even now, those monsters you and that witch created constantly attacks our walls. If you don't have the decency to smoothen the mistakes you've made then you do not deserve to be King of Elvenland."

King Estes' eyes flashed a dangerous glint of white. The moon emblems around the room started to glow a furious red when he said;

"Whether I deserve it or not, I am still  King of all Elves. You dared to speak to me as if I were a lowly lawbreaker? What you just did was treason. Can you not see that I am not the bad guy here? It seems like Alice has completely  manipulated your mind against our kingdom.

You push me, Miya. Cousin or not. I, King Estes, in the name of the Moon Goddess, hereby detain you from your post here in Elvenland as Captain. You are no longer allowed to talk, buy, sell, trade, or communicate to any Elf in Elvenland. You will officially be considered an outcast. You're free to go, Miya."