3

"I'll get them for you real quick," I replied and jogged to the back. We were out of size six of this shoe. I walked back out and put the shoe in the display shelf where it belonged and informed the customer we didn't have it. He walked out quickly in search of another  store that could've had it in stock.

I still get the welfare checks but the pitty money stopped coming when Aunt Nila died. I'm 18 so I can live in her house- well my house- by myself without a guardian. I still needed money for food and other things that I wanted, so I had a couple jobs on the side. Working at Footlocker was one of them.

It was four o'clock on Saturday, the busiest day of the week. I was only a part time employee and would be clocking out soon. "Imma catch y'all later," I said getting my stuff and leaving the store. My shift was over and I had some free time with absolutely nothing to do.

The place where I worked was about 30 minutes from where I actually stayed. It was much safer here them down there.

Nah, I didn't live in the hood but the pay was much higher over here. I didn't want to work at a place where I'm getting paid five dollars less per hour when I'm doing the same job and getting more money elsewhere.

The sun shined brightly on me as I walked to my ride thinking of where to go. It wasn't a week day so I didn't have an appointment with Nique. But it would be nice to get to know her better if I'm gonna be spending all this time with her. Her number was already in my phone since I had to let her know when I'd come to get her. Practice ran late a couple times and I didn't want her to be stuck at the library wondering if I was coming or not.

Going to my messages I clicked on her name and typed up a text.

You free right now?

I started up the car and plugged my phone in the aux. Old J.Cole music was playing when she texted back. The music paused for a moment then started back up.

Nique
Yeah. Meet me somewhere?

There was nothing stopping me from saying no. I was just gonna go home and sit on the couch with nothing to do. I would probably get bored with nothing to do, so why not?

Yeah, when and where?

I finished the rest of the drive home without looking at her reply. As I entered the driveway another car was already there. I didn't recognize it but two people sat inside, waiting for me I guess. I took my keys out, grabbed my phone and approached the unfamiliar vehicle. One person I did remember was Renee. She looked pissy and had her arms crossed.

The driver was another female who I've never seen before. They both had light skin but different features to them. This person's lips seemed to be fuller and her eyes were a different shape than Renee's. Before I could tap on the window, driver rolled it down.

"Renee," I nodded her way. She glanced at me and still looked forward. "Jaylen." The driver smacked her teeth and looked at me to speak. "Sorry bout how she's acting. I'm Wren, Renee's friend. I was told about how rude she acted," Wren turned to Renee and scolded. There was a short pause and she turned back to me. "I understand she lied about you, and I'm sorry she did that shit. I'm sure you wanna hear it from her yourself." Wren nudged my cousin, urging her to speak.

"I'm sorry I lied to the family about our conversation, I know you ain't threaten me I just made that shit up," Renee said through gritted teeth. Wren looked up at me once more. "I'm sorry bout the way the family been treating you. I ain't related to y'all but I've been close with Renee for so long. The way they talk about you, shit crazy. You seem chill though," she nodded at me. I smiled.

"Y'all wanna come in?" Wren shook her head and so did my cousin. "We just stopped by real quick, we got other plans. But you we ca' talk later if you want," Wren gave me her number and I put it in my phone. "Well, we'll be going." I nodded at her as she rolled up the window and they exited the driveway.