24

Jay

The house we pulled up to is extremely nice. Like this is a nice ass place. Like MTV Cribs type shit.

Nique had fallen a sleep in my arms and I didn't want to wake her. I could tell the sleepless nights and everything she's been through has been catching up with her. She looks tired.

The driver and some housekeepers went to the trunk to get our few bags. We probably won't even be here for as long as planned, but D insisted on bringing her entire closet.

I carefully scooted out the car and carried her to the double doors at the front. The amount of people it took to maintain the house was probably a lot. Two greeters opened each door for me to enter. There were two spiral staircases leading up the the second floor. High ceilings and a chandelier hung from above. My footsteps echoed inside of the house.

Directly in front of me was one of many living rooms, with so much fancy shit. That's really all I can say to describe it. A butler met me and the staircase; D stirred in my arms at the sound of his voice.

"Mr. Williams told me you all will be our new guests. The guests stay in the western wing. If you travel up these stairs and go to the right straight to the end of the hall, there are several rooms for you to choose from," he whispered so he wouldn't wake her up. I nodded at him and went lightly up the stairs.

D always slept with her mouth open. Hot, stale breath blew into my face.

I followed his directions and picked a room at the very end of the hall. It seemed like all the rooms were this big. I removed her coat and shoes and put her in the bed. She stirred a little but remained sleeping. I took the room directly across from hers and started bringing our things up.

"Yo, Jay. Come down here real quick," Raheem yelled. I unplugged my phone and closed the door to my room on the way out. Nique had woken up and got in the shower a few minutes ago. I could hear the water running and her singing from out here. I chuckled to myself and searched around for her brother.

"I'm right hea'." I turned around and he was sitting at the dining table with his hands folded. Nigga scared the shit outta me, just like he did at the hospital.

I walked over there and sat at the seat two spots to the right of him. I'm not gon say he was a scary dude but Raheem was intimidating. Of course I had way more respect for him than I had for Jordan, who had left before D was even out of the hospital. That shit was weak and if I got the chance I would call him out on it.

"So wassup?"

I still was lowkey tripping on the fact that he moved out here without Nique, but she seems to be forgiving him for that so I should too. All I'm sayin' is , that ain't right. They living lavish while Nique was living deep inside the hood. How the fuck that work?

"Whatchu' want with my sister?"

I looked at him for a second. Domonique looked like him a lot, even though he was darker with no freckles. His jaw clenched and unclenched as he stared back.

"What you mean 'what I want?'"

"I mean, you don't just let some random motherfucker in yo house to live with you and not want nothin' in return. So what's the deal?"

He talking to me crazy but Imma excuse it because he's worried about his sister. "It ain't nothing like that. We just cool." I definitely would not tell him what I told her earlier. I've seen what New York niggas do.

Do I wanna be with her, yes. But right now she's not in the right place for that. I want her to be my girl because she feel like it, not cause she felt pressured into doing it. Or she thinks I feel that way about her because I pity her.