6

Jay

"Whatchu' got me driving all around town for? Can you just tell me what all this stuff is for?" She shook her head and kept her mouth shut. Since school ended for the day she was dragging me places to pick certain things up.

"Shut up, I'll be right back." I stopped in front of the store so she could get out then looked for a place to park.

Nique hasn't actually been teaching me lately. I seemed to get the hang of things and barely needed her help anymore. Maybe once or twice I'd ask for help on an assignment, that was it. There was no more tutoring going on but she still came to my house everyday just to hang. She was my only friend and everyone else at school were acquaintances.

I scrolled through my Instagram waiting for D to come back out. Ten minutes passed before she tapped on the window, asking me to unlock the door. "They ain't have it. Next store," I smacked. Using up all my gas like that.

"You lucky we cool. Otherwise I would have stopped driving you places." I started up the car once more and went to the next destination.

"Would it kill you to tell me what's going on?" I picked up one of her bags and looked inside. "What you need stickers for?"

She tapped the back of my head. "Nothing you need to worry about. You just focus on the game coming up." I was excited for that. Everybody got they shit together (I know our coaches pulled some strings) and we were all cleared to play. My heavy hitters were passing too; this would be impossible without them.

Three stops later we arrived at my place. "Thank the Lord, I was tired of running around here." I pulled into the driveway with barely enough space because the car from the other day was there. Inside sat Wren.

"What's good?" I spoke after tapping on her window. She got out of the car and followed Domonique and I to the door.

"I was just stopping by to talk." The door to the house unlocked and I let them in.

"Uh, Dominique this is Wren. Wren this Domonique." They chatted a little bit as I went to my room and put my stuff down. I came back out and they were on the couch talking. It looked like they instantly hit it off.

Wren's hair really stood out the most: fiery red, bone straight, and shoulder length. It seemed to light up the whole damn room. And there was Domo, talking her head off about hair products while Wren followed suit. "Now that you're here, lets get to it." I sat on the couch opposite of where they sat. The tv played as background noise.

"The family don't care about you and they ain't checking up on yo ass. I wanted to let you know if you need anything, I'm here. What they say about you might be true or it might not be, I honestly don't care." She was speaking facts. Hell yeah they didn't care about me. For all I know they could be plotting my death at this moment.

"I realized it when I dropped Renee off at her momma crib that day we came to see you. They was talking shit." That was nothing new. Domonique shifted on the couch, noting that she was listening intently.

"So I'm like, all this bad shit I heard about him can't be true. I mean how the fuck can you be to burn your auntie with a curling iron? Men don't know how to use them shits," I chuckled at one of the infamous stories about me.

"It got to a point where I knew they was all lying so I'm here tryna offer peace. We not blood but I think you chill so imma stick around if that's cool with y'all?" I nodded and so did Domonique.