25

Domonique

The bathroom was about four steps away. It would take maybe seven seconds to get there. Jay's arms were wrapped around me and I couldn't move. I ain't complaining, though.

I feel safe.

Light had already crept through the curtains. The New York snow had drowned out the sun for today. It must have been after 11 in the morning. I elbowed Jaylen's stomach for the third time, attempting to get him off me. "I'm sleepin'."

I smacked and pushed him again. I really had to go. "Yeah, well you gotta move big fella."

He pretended like he ain't hear me and shut his eyes again. After punching him in his gut he started to cough. His arms released me and I rolled out of bed. A huge pillow hit the back of my head. "Next time you better listen to me," I laughed. I switched on the lights in the bathroom and looked in the mirror. My eyes were red and puffy, my hair was everywhere.

It has been such a long month. I am definitely ready to put all this to rest, my mother included. I don't know if Jordan believes what happened, but if he's not with me then he can get cut off too. I am done caring about these people. We share blood but we are not family. We haven't been for years. I never should have thought coming here was gonna change that.

Shit, I'm ready to be happy, and I plan on starting that today. I already called the airlines and scheduled us to leave in three days instead of a week and a half. I don't wanna be here more than I have to. The house was beautiful and overly luxurious. It had everything but it wasn't our home in Monroe. Anyone would be happy, but resenting my mother made me hate it here. If it were up to me, I would have been gone after delivering the ass whooping of her life.

But Jay convinced me to stay. He says we should see a couple things first before we up and leave. Plus, I still wanted to talk to Raheem. That's the only family member I claim at this point. "Bro come out already. I gotta use it, too."

I stopped staring at myself and peeked out of the door. Jaylen was sprawled all over the bed, scrolling on his phone. "Uh, you forgot that you had your own room?" I pointed at the door, "Matter of fact, get out." He looked up from his phone at me and then back to what he was doing.

"Imma just ignore you cause clearly you don't know who you talking to. That's aight, cause I forgive you."

I rolled my eyes and walked over to the door, opening it. "Here go the exit; make yo' way out." I clasped my hands and waited for him to get up. He looked at me dumb.

I went over there and tried dragging him by his feet. "Nigga what the fuck do you eat? I feel like I'm dragging a lead pipe." Jay sat up and pulled me onto the bed.

"D, I know you not tryna call me fat."

I grabbed his stomach trying to pull some rolls. That was damn near impossible from how toned his body was. "Yeah you tried it forreal."

"But since you want me gone so bad, I'm out this hoe." He chucked up a deuce and walked out of the open door. I shook my head, that boy.

I don't wanna catch myself saying I love him, but I think that's what this is. He doesn't have to do any of the shit he does for me, but he do it anyways. I never had someone like that for a long time. But I'm not tryna ruin what we have by entering a relationship. I'm not even ready for all that.

He better have fun with Sierra.

"Man can you hurry up? It's gon' be crowded the later we get there." I scrolled on my phone waiting for Jaylen to finish up. He said he would be ready thirty minutes ago, an hour later and I'm still waiting. Plus, I'm getting hungry. "Do you think they got a Waffle House 'round here?"