8

Jay

"You ain't never been to a game?" Nique rolled her eyes.

"Nope. Never had no one to come for. Shouldn't you be getting ready?"

She was right, but I had to get her settled in first. "Well people who come to games know they need to bring a blanket because it will get cold," I handed her mine along with some money in case she wanted to go to the concession stand.

"Yeah, yeah. Meet me back here before the game starts." I nodded and hurried off to the locker room.

Jones told me where my jersey was and I grabbed it, putting on all of my gear, including my thigh and knee pads, tights, shoulder pads. Everyone huddled around Coach as he went over plays and hyped us up with his encouragement. We didn't need all that, as long as he trusted we could do it then we'd do it.

The team headed out to the field where our tunnel was. The game started with us running through it and meeting in the middle, jumping and shit, getting energized. After all that we stood on the sidelines until it was really time to get started.

I used the time to go to the last row of bleachers where D was at. "I'm back, what you got for me?" She slowly removed her jacket and did a little spin. "You like it?" I bit my lip and smiled. Shit was mad cute, it was thoughtful that she did that for me.

"Ain't nobody getting past me," we laughed for a little bit. Despite the cold I felt warm that someone would do something so nice for me. Especially her.

"No seriously, you'll do great out there. Give me your hands." I reached up and she wrapped her hands around mine.

Nique kissed each hand and was silent for a moment, possibly praying. I never had someone to show up at my games, celebrate a win with, comfort me when I lose, any of that. The fact that she took time out of her day to come watch me made the desire to win even stronger. Coach blew the whistle, calling everyone over. She lifted her head and looked at me with a smile.

"Get they ass, Jaylen." I smirked and hustled back to the sidelines.

"I could have sworn you niggas were going to lose," D hit the back of my head as we walked to the car. My blanket was still wrapped around her.

"Yeah but we didn't, no thanks to Trey though." He caused the other team to intercept and from then until the last quarter they went on a 15 point run. Luckily in the fourth I got the ball back to end zone twice with some good passes.

"We should celebrate though. Ice cream?" I wasn't thinking about it until she said it and now I was craving some ice cream. It was too late for any creameries to be open so I went to Walmart.

"You coming?" She nodded and we got out of the car. "You'll have to push me," Nique hopped in the cart with the blanket still wrapped around her.

"I really am proud of you, Jaylen. You showed out today," she smiled sleepily. I wheeled us to the frozen goods section. "What kind you want?" I chose a pint of chocolate for me and she opted for cookie dough. I didn't need anything else so I took us to the check out. Nique was still in the cart with the same look on her face. When she got sleepy she always looked high.

I paid for the ice cream and by the time we were out of the store she was asleep. To scare her I pushed the cart downhill and let go. In five seconds she snapped out of her daze and looked around for me. I stood at the top waving at her and her eyes filled with fury.

"You think you all big and bad since you won a game tonight- boy come stop this cart!" I saw that there was a tree and sprinted to stop her before she hit it.