10

Jay

She must have drank at least 3 cups of water when she started to calm down. This whole day I was mad at her, and then when she called me it was like all my anger melted away.

I realized that if you want someone to be open and honest with you, it will take some time. You can't rush into it like I was trying to do.

But she couldn't expect me to not ask any questions after this. Instead of calling me to come get her, taking the bus, or getting an uber, she ran here. The only thing I could think of was that she was being chased. That had to have been it; if she was injured as badly as she said she was then she wouldn't run across the city.

I didn't know how to go about getting her to talk so I waited until she was ready. Nique would completely shut down if I pushed, so I didn't. It was her story, so she could tell me on her terms.

"I ain't been completely honest with you. I'm ready to talk about it now." The way she was sitting made it difficult to face me but I didn't mind not having her eye contact. Her right leg was propped up on a pillow and had a bag of ice sitting on top of it.

Her next words absolutely terrified me. It had to be something so terrible that she hid it from me.

"I live in the Pinks with one of my brothers friends," D said. It was a nickname for a block of projects where it was real dangerous. I felt more anger boil in my chest. For weeks I believed she lived close to here so I let her walk home in the dark. Every night she put her life in danger with the risk of getting stolen, mugged, beat, or even killed just because she had too much pride to let me take her home.

"She's a crack addict who owed some people. Tonight they came by and fucked up the apartment and went through everything looking for the money they were owed. They left and came back. Both times I hid. When they were gone for good, I ran, came here."

I had too many questions and didn't know how much longer I could stay silent or control myself. If I couldn't calm myself, I would say shit that I didn't mean. And that was the last thing I wanted to do.

"I didn't tell you because you busy with your own problems and I don't need you worrying about me. I was scared you'd think of me differently, like I'm like the people from there." Since when did she know what I thought? If I really told her how I felt about her she would never think that. Deciding not to keep quiet any longer I spoke up.

"There you go again with that selfish bullshit. Domonique. I don't give a fuck if you live in them damn Pinks. If you needed help I woulda had yo' back. You can't just decide what I can and cannot worry about. It don't matter where you from, I'm still gon' fuck with you like I say I do. Why would you even think I'm that damn shallow?"

What she was describing must have been another person because it sure as hell wasn't me. I'm the type of person to chill with you on the floor if you ain't got no couch. It didn't matter what your situation was, if you were cool then I was down.

Then another thing entered my mind. "So who's been putting they hands on you?" That time before class wasn't the first time she had been seen with bruises. It was obvious that she was getting beat on, but I didn't ask.

Damn I'm so stupid. It was right in front of me and I didn't even realize. She was silent, shaking her head.

"I swear to God Domonique--" I had no clue if it was even true or not but I was ready to act on my emotions.

"When Ashanti gets like that, she ain't in her right mind."

It's crazy how you can still defend someone, no matter what they've done to you. Domonique never spoke badly about anyone, I doubt she even had it in her to do so. I couldn't stand by and let her allow this woman to walk all over her.  "Fuck does that mean? She don't get to choke you and all that. That's not right and you know it," I spat.