12

Domonique

During the day, Jay took me to all of my classes and held my stuff. I felt too dependent on him, from living in his space to having him cook for me and then for him to do this. I definitely was not complaining about how much attention I was receiving. This brought back memories of my my mother, though.

Back in the day I lived with my mother and brothers. We didn't have a lot but we had enough, sometimes a little extra for things we liked. My mother was my best friend and our relationship was strong. She supported me through everything, especially at my meets. My brothers and I were close despite our age difference of four and six years.

But then Jordan and Raheem started selling. They must have done it for a year before Ma found out. She found an ounce in one of their pockets and started interrogating the both of them. I sat in my closet with my ears covered, trying desperately to drown out the yelling going on just outside my bedroom.

"Ma, it ain't serious like that. We just wanna take care of you and Sis. What's so bad about that?" Jordan asked. No words were exchanged for the next two minutes. I got up and opened the door to the closet, thinking it was over.

"How much are y'all making?" She asked. Was that what was on her mind? Was she not worried about their lives being at stake or them getting arrested?

"We moved up so much since we started. Each of us banking 10 grand a week. Half of it goes to taking care of you and Domonique, Momma. Yeah we done moved out but we still wanna make sure y'all straight. I'on want you to worry bout nothing no more," Rah stated.

I didn't care about money, or him buying me the things I wanted. I could care less about those things. What I really wanted was for the both of them to stay safe. And not die too soon.

"Don't you fucking die. Not only will it hurt me but Domonique won't take it well. Keep your mouth shut; she can't find out about this," Ma ordered.

I stood from the floor and sat on the bed, taking in her words to them. She was going to lie to me? Not only did she disregard my feelings, she also overlooked the fact that Rah and Jordan could die out there trying to provide for us.

I hated everyone out there in that living room. It was all so selfish.

I heard my mom turn and go to her room, while Rah came in to see me.

"Domonique, wassup?" He sat next to me and I scooted away.

"So you gon' be like that. Whatever, girl. You just jittery 'cuz you got a meet tomorrow. You'll do fine," he said. After thumping my forehead he left the room.

As luck would have it, I tore my acl the next day. Surprising how I still won that race, isn't it? While being rehabilitated and treated, I revealed to them that I knew how all of this was getting paid for. I knew where the cash flow was coming from. A couple months in as I was healing from my injury, I got into a real bad argument with Jordan.

I was sprawled on my back, waiting for Ma to come and stretch my leg. Instead Jordan came in. "Momma a little busy right now but I can help you if you want?" I nodded and he slowly picked up my leg. He pushed it up, making my knee go near my face. I had to do this three times everyday for an hour to make sure my leg didn't lock up.

"Why you do it?" He guided it back and forth in a steady pace.

"Do what, Domonique?" At least Raheem was straight with me, Jordan loved to play dumb, like I didn't already know what was going on. "

Why the fuck do you sell that stuff?" He placed my leg down and sat next to my bed.

"Why you talkin' to me like that?" I hardly ever cursed at my brother so I understood why he was taken aback. But he was tryna distract me from focusing on the issue I was trying to address.