22

Domonique

I had tossed and turned for so long, it was time for me to just get up. It was almost one in the afternoon, so no wonder hunger woke me up. I smiled at my phone, my heart warming at the sight of my lock screen. I was in the middle of the photo sitting in a wheelchair with Jay standing next to me smiling. On the other side was Wren and Flora being extra boo'd up. Remembering the day made me chuckle, then I finally decided to roll out of bed.

I grabbed one of my crutches and walked out to the living room. Jaylen insisted that I stay in his room so I didn't have to keep walking up and down the stairs. I didn't mind it; it was a way for me to regain the strength in my leg.

Speaking of which, it's healing up pretty well. Only a couple more sessions with the physical therapist and I'll be able to walk without the crutch.

He was sitting on the couch scrolling through TV channels when I walked out.

"Look who finally up. You really enjoying this break to the fullest." I scoffed and sat next to him.

"Hell yeah. I don't got much time left. And I leave tomorrow--" Jay looked at me crazy.

"I thought we said you weren't going..."

Before Rah left to deal with everyone he told me I should come visit. We needed to get everything straightened out and most of all I needed answers. I can't live my life not knowing how my own blood thinks of me, or if one of them actually tried to get me killed. I was about to go to college and I didn't want something this big on my shoulders. My life was just getting started.

"We both know that ain't gon' happen. It's a short trip, I'll only miss like 3 days of school."

"But I don't see the point. You got out the hospital four days ago. Nique, you were attacked. You need to chill for a sec." I shrugged and went into the kitchen. I was gonna go no matter what. There was so many things I let build up inside of me. If there was no release I would spiral.

And I already felt myself doing that now.

I got out two eggs and cracked them in a plastic bowl. I took a fork out the drawer and whisked them together "You ate yet?" I spoke louder so he could hear me. Jay walked to the kitchen and made himself comfortable on the island.

"I ain't hungry. Whatchu finna make?" I knew he was gonna eat some of mine so I knew to make some for him too. "Can you hand me the bread?"

He passed it to me, smacking. "So we just gon' ignore what you're tryna do?"

I buttered up the pan and turned on the heat. I was not finna address what he's saying right now. I understand he blames himself for what happened and how he just wants to protect me. But I need this and maybe I would get closure. After I finished dipping the bread in the eggs, I sprinkled them with cinnamon and let them fry in the pan. "Is three good for you?" I turned and asked.

He was growing annoyed and I could tell. I ain't giving in that easy. "Why the fuck you gotta go, huh? I don't wanna be the one to say it-- but fuck them. Fuck them, D. You was laid up in the hospital and them motherfuckers left. What you flying out there to see them for? Why they not coming down here? They left you here by yourself. You don't need them," Jay raised his voice.

I flipped the toast revealing the golden brown underside. I got out a plate to set them on when they finished.

I leaned on the crutch and turned around, ready to address his words. "Why do you care so much? I don't even know why you even fuck with me. I'm just a burden on your entire life--"