23

Domonique

I stepped out of the hot shower and wrapped my towel around me. I liked the water pressure in his bathroom, and the water got way hotter down here than it did in mine. Despite my comfort, I still felt weird being all up in his space, especially since things have gotten complicated.

Do I have feelings for Jaylen? To answer honestly: I don't know.

Thinking about that kiss just does too many things to me, so I've been trying to push it to the back of my head. What I really need to focus on is getting ready for this trip. Jay couldn't find a ticket on my specific flight, so he's leaving a little while after me. When I land I'm going to wait for him and then we'll go to the family home.

That was another thing I was concerned about. I'm sure Rah told them I was coming. I don't know how they're gonna react when I show up with Jay. But it doesn't matter what they say, he's gotta come with me.

Departure is at 10:00 am and it was 7 right now. I grabbed the crutch and my towel and made my way out. He looked asleep on the couch, so I waddled over there. I told him to sleep in my room since I had to stay down here, but he refused. Something about him needing to monitor me. Whatever, he be acting like my doctor.

His mouth was open and I stuck the bottom of my crutch inside.

Jaylen woke up with a quickness and started spitting and coughing. I covered my mouth, trying hard not to laugh at the angry and confused expression on his face. "It's better ways to wake people up. You foul as fuck."

"Good morning to you, too. You need to start getting ready." He grabbed his phone and squinted at the brightness of the screen. "Nique it's only 7. I leave at 11:30." He tried putting his head back down to sleep but I tapped him again.

"That means we're behind. It takes an hour to get to Atlanta from here, plus we gotta eat, check in bags, and all that. So come on." I limped away.

He smacked his teeth and sat up. "I oughtta take that crutch right from under you," he mumbled.

The car ride to the airport was silent, except for the radio going. It wasn't a comfortable silence either. He would always open his mouth like he had something to say but would never say it.

It's only been a couple months and it feels like everything has moved so fast. We went from friends, to living together, and now? I don't know what's next. I don't know if I like him or not-- and if I do is it just because of everything he has done for me?

"You gon say it or what?"

Jay took his eyes off the road for a second and glanced at me. "Huh?"

"I'm already nervous about what may or may not happen today. I don't need you acting like we're strangers. Clearly there's something you need to get off your chest," I said. Jaylen was always good at saying what was on his mind, and I was the one who struggled with it. I surprised myself by even saying this.

He sighed and focused on the road, the car returning to an uncomfortable silence. I leaned my head on the window and decided to give him his space. This must be how he feels with me. I just wanna know how he's thinking right now, yet he won't say anything.

"You being nervous is exactly why I don't wanna talk about this right now. You already got so much to deal with right now. Look D, I do have feelings for you. I don't know if you feeling me but right now that doesn't even matter."

I won't lie, a part of me is cheesing hard as hell right now.

Maybe I can't take a hint, but I would have never guessed he liked me. I never even thought of him like that until recently. Still, I don't think I want to explore those feelings. I'm happy where we are now, well where we were, and I don't wanna ruin it.