26

Domonique

I plugged my earbuds into my phone and looked through everything I had downloaded on Netflix the night before. I finished my work in this class pretty quick and used the rest of the time to do whatever. I don't talk to no one in here so I stayed on my phone.

Right before I clicked on the next episode of The Office, Mrs. Brooks called our attention.

"Aye y'all listen up real quick. We got a new student." Brooks sat down and let the girl introduce herself.

"My name is Sydney. I'm originally from New York but I moved hea' a couple weeks ago. Yeah, that's it." She awkwardly looked at the teacher for instructions on what to do next. I saw Brooks point at the empty seat next to me.

I seen Sydney in another class yesterday but we didn't speak. She's a very pretty girl; medium brown skin and big eyes. Her hair was parted in the middle and flowed down her back. If I hadn't gotten a good look, I would not have known it was a lace front.

From what I could tell she wasn't having a hard time making friends or anything. Everyone was talking about the way she spoke, because she not from down here. And she was pretty, so instantly folks gravitate towards that.

She put her bag down and settled into the desk. I pressed play on my phone.

"You watch that too?"

I took one of my earbuds out my ear and looked her way. "Yeah, I seen it all. I just be bored and it's nothing to do in here." She chuckled and continued to look at me. I turned my phone off, thinking we were about to have a conversation.

"You're not gonna tell me yo' name?" I grinned. If she would have gave me three more seconds I would have.

"Domonique."

Sydney nodded and faced my way completely. "Well Domonique, your freckles cute." I blushed a little. Compliments make me flustered.

"Never heard that one, but thanks."

"You know ya way around the schoo'?" I nodded. She handed me her schedule and I looked at her next class. It was across campus from where mine was, but I didn't mind taking her there. At Monroe they don't really give you a tour; they shove your ass in and make you find your way.

"You know where the rest of your classes at?"

She shrugged. "I'on really do this education bullshit. I'm here cause I gotta be. You'll help me get to my next class?" I nodded.

"Coo'. But the rest of this shit not fa' me." I laughed.

"Nah, sis. It's senior year. They ain't gon' let you walk the stage if you don't go. They will give yo ass truancy. Let me see your phone." She handed me the 7+ after unlocking it with her thumb. I put my number in and sent myself a text from her phone.

My screen lit up with the unsaved number; I put her name in. "What's this gonna do?"

"We got last block together. If I don't see you up in there, Imma blow up your phone."

She chuckled. "Yeah, whateva'. I think it's time to go." I looked around and everyone was leaving out the room. The hallways would be full soon.

I wrapped up my earbuds and picked up my bag. We were the last to leave. "Upstairs is four digit rooms, downstairs is three."

"Mhm." She was too distracted looking at fine niggas in the hallways. She was attracting attention, which was fine for her. As for me though, I rather stay lowkey.

Trey walked past us and gave her a quick side hug, then winked at me. I rolled my eyes.

Sydney pursed her lips. "Y'all got beef or sumn'?"

I shook my head. Whatever happened back then, happened. I won't keep talking about it. "He's a fuck nigga, that's all." She shrugged and we kept on.

"Can I see yo' phone?" I handed it to her as we walked. She slid and opened the camera. She held the button down and took pictures, at least 100 of them. I laughed. She seemed to be very goofy. I can vibe to that.

"Man gimme that back," I reached for my phone.

She handed it back to me, saying "You got a text from someone named Jay." I put my phone back in my back pocket. "Why you doing Jay like that?"

"Like what?"

"You not gonna text him back? Oh, you a mean shordy."

"Sydney, you extra nosey," I said. I didn't mind it though. This was the longest conversation I had with someone other than Flora or Jay in a while. It felt weird, but in a good way.

She grinned, "I can't help it."

"This you right here." I pointed to the door a couple of feet away.

"Alright," she nodded my way and entered the room.

I turned back and started the long journey back to the other side of campus.

"So we're ignoring each other now?" To the right of me, Jaylen had walked up.

"Nawl, I was fixing to text you. I had something to do, though."

"Right." I rolled my eyes at his sarcasm. "Come here."

He wrapped one of his arms around me as we continued walking.

I don't know if we talk or we date or any of that. I just know that we like each other. I'm not bold enough to just come out and say it, but he knows. And if he don't know by now, then he more stupid than I thought.

It doesn't matter anyways, because I'm comfortable like this. These past couple months have taught me that whatever happens, happens. God has a plan for me.

The three o'clock bell rang. Niggas flooded out of class and flocked towards the doors. "How I get to my car from hea'?" Sydney asked.

We had spent the entire class period talking about ourselves, specifically her. I don't really got much to say to be honest. She cool though.

I guided her to a set of double doors that led directly to the student parking lot. "You drive?"

"You don't?" I shook my head. Everyone else know how to drive and trust me, I do too. I just don't do it legally...

"I can, but I can't."

"What? Yo folks took away yo keys?" Nah, I don't have any folks. And if I do, they don't live down here.

I just shook my head. "Bro can you speak?" Sydney squinted at me. When I nodded again she pinched me. "I mean yes."

"Better. You Hungry?"

I followed her out to her car. From the way she dressed I wouldn't exactly think she would be whipping a Benz. Not saying she looked a hot mess, but like most of us she was casual. And most of us could not afford something like that.

"This nice girl," I said opening the door.

"This car really my baby."

"Where we going?" I did just meet her, so I shared my location with Wren just in case she kidnapped me.

I shrugged, "Wherever you wanna go." She smacked and unlocked her phone.

"I'on know what you muh'fuckas eat down hea'. Pick somewhere so we ca' go."

"Zaxby's, and I'll tell you how to get there from here." She nodded and cranked out the lot.

"What they got there?" I chuckled. She's gonna have to learn how we do it in the south. "Fried goodness."

I texted Jay and told him I would be back a little later than usual.

"Who that?"

"Man, just drive."