14

Domonique

"What about this one?" I asked. Thanksgiving was on Thursday and I wanted to get a couple decorations for the house. Wren shook her head no and so did Jay. I put the turkey pillow back and began looking for something else.

I was real big on festivity, as that was how I was brought up. Even when I lived with Ashanti I always decorated the apartment with seasonal things. I made dinners and took pictures- by myself of course. I had to put everything away before she came home and started complaining.

"Imma be right back," he left Wren and I alone to go to the bathroom. She used the time to talk to me about what happened earlier.

"So this Trey guy, is he fine?" I smacked her arm. Wren is the only person I actually talk to besides Jay, so of course I had to lace her up.

"Girl hush. I told you he was really upset when I told him. Don't even think about mentioning it, either." I said. I was in the wrong for keeping it from him, but he understood why I did it. I just want him to be focused. When I make it out of here I want him to make it out of here, too.

"Chill. I'm not going to say anything. Y'all cool now, right?" We bounced right back within a day, and I was back to kissing his gloves as our pre-game ritual. He actually did really good last game, which meant the whole Trey ordeal didn't throw him off. I was dumb for even thinking that it would.

"Yeah. I'm glad, too." Wren picked up a cornucopia and placed it in the buggy.

"How is living with him?" She asked. It reminded me of when my life was normal. I'd already gotten used to seeing him everyday so it wasn't much different than before. I shrugged and started looking at more stuff. "You ain't caught any feelings or-"

I don't thing me and Jay could ever get like that. "Nah. And stop tryna ship us. We're just close friends. That's all."

From the outside it did look like we were involved like that. We went everywhere together and weren't apart most times. We shared our space easily and spent a lot of time together.

It was easy for him to be attracted to me and vice versa, but that's not what it was. We were just comfortable with each other. Being around him was simple: I ain't have to think too much about it.

Jaylen came back from the restroom, ending our conversation. "Y'all hungry? I think we done here."

I strolled to the check out and loaded things in the conveyor. I paid  for the items and Wren helped me with the bags.

"Now why did you pay for that? I told you I got it." Jaylen rolled his eyes. He did have more money than me but I still wanted to contribute to the home we shared. Any bills we had were handled by him. He'd always tell me that since we didn't do a lot that it didn't cost him much. Our light bill was $60 dollars this month.

I put everything in the trunk and sat in the backseat of the car. "I'm in the mood for some fried chicken. I think it's a Popeyes down there..." Wren pointed.

Jaylen started looking for it too. "Nope. We been eating out too much. I'll make a meal at home," I said. It was the first time I ever referred to it as home. I always called it 'the house'. Both of them sighed and pouted.

"She trippin'," Jay said to Wren. She nodded.

"Man whatever. I don't know why y'all mad because it's a fact that I can cook." He started up the car and pulled out of the spot. While he drove I decided to invite Wren to our dinner. I knew she was going to come. All I needed was for her to make sure she knew to bring her girlfriend. She said she would come through.