5

Jay

There was a cut on her face but she already explained that one, something about a razor. But the purple bruises on her neck threw me the fuck off. We were tight now, and if there was something going on I wanted to know. When I did ask her she shut down and ran into class. I tried shrugging it off and went to my first class of the day, government. I should do fine since Nique has taught me so much.

As expected I was doing better, in fact I got a B on the chapter test. I was happy as hell I was bringing all my grades up, but I couldn't totally be happy if something was wrong with Nique. She was the reason for my success, and I had to make sure she was good.

I made it a priority to check on her again and focused on class. This period was filled with players and cheerleaders. I made fun of the shit I heard up in here. Some of it was good ass gossip.

"The first game coming up and guess who finna get laid behind the stands?" This girl behind me asked her friends. She was cheer captain so of course she had all the intel. Across the room sat the rest of the football team and some ball players toward the back. The drill team girls sat in the middle of the class. What I hated most about them was that they stayed smacking on gum. They looked like some damn cows.

I sat on the far right with the cheerleaders behind me. The female athletes sat over here and didn't bother me much so I didn't care.

I stopped listening to their conversations up until they mentioned Domonique's name. "You know the real quiet girl, Domonique. She fine or whatever but she ain't no me. So I don't even know why Trey eyes is wandering over to her when he got all this."

I was tempted to turn around and defend her but thought of what would happen. People like her messy and fake as hell so I left it alone.

After the next two periods came lunch. I never ate anything here because it was nasty. I wasn't usually hungry at this time so I sat in my car or drove around. Nique was sitting at a table with her head down, probably sleeping. Walking over to where she was, I tapped her shoulder. Her response wasn't immediate but a couple more taps got her up. She rubbed her eyes slightly and I sat in the chair next to her.

"You hungry?" She nodded slowly as her eyes adjusted to the lights. "I want a mango. Do you have one?" There was a little bit of sleepiness in her voice and also lines on her face, meaning she slept good.

Of course I didn't just have a mango in my pocket or anything, so I offered to take her to buy one. At Monroe we could leave campus to get a bite. That's why it was so quiet in here; either you went out to eat or you were outside.

I saw that she was still trying to shake off the sleep when she got up. I grabbed her things and led her to my car. "Them Hispanic markets sells ripe mangoes. Is there one near by?" She strapped up and so did I. "Yeah let's go." I found it funny that we were leaving school to go buy a couple of fruits and then come back.

"You sleep good, ma'am?" She chuckled, finally out of her daze.

"Hells yeah. I was dreaming too," she looked out the window. I pulled into the parking lot and unlocked the doors so we could go inside and buy the mangoes.

"They having a sale, Jay. Four for a dollar. It's our lucky day," Nique pulled three dollars out of her back pocket and started flexing with it.

"Rich ass," I put my hand over her shoulder and rested it there was we walked around the store looking for her fruit.

Once we found the pile of them she put four in one of those plastic bags. "Get more, on me," she smiled and started getting more. We went to the cash register and got rung up. "And your total is 5.32" I handed her a ten and got my change. After we got our bags we headed back into the parking lot.