New Light

Today was all about revision and also Clarkson let me drive the PAV on the day shift as I was assigned to her during the day.

Zoe and I had become close friends now, so I felt like I could confide in her what I was really doing on a night, as I had to share a room with her and didn't want to lie all the time. She couldn't believe her ears when I told her she was so jealous which she admitted but she never said a word to anyone. She had never told anyone about my dad either which was proof I could trust her now. I was totally wrong about her we actually fit really well together as friends.

I had finally been assigned my own PAV now as I had passed all my tests, I felt like a proper peacekeeper now. I flew over to division 5 all by myself to get ready for another night in the club. I had to be careful not to be seen leaving the division in my waitress uniform. I walked the few blocks past the van and into the club.

Jimmy greeted me he was such a sweet man I couldn't believe he was into anything criminal.

"Lucy looks like we have a new bartender starting tonight I think his name was Jack?"

"Oh great I look forward to meeting him Jimmy, is he good looking?" I winked at him and smiled.

Jimmy laughed with his deep chesty laugh "Not as good looking as me"

I helped set the bar up then Jimmy introduced me to another bartender and another waitress that I would be working with. I had to keep reminding myself why I was here and to be observant. I was enjoying it too much.

Andrews walked in dressed in smart trousers a white shirt and a black waistcoat. I almost didn't recognize him. He looked so different so young, I had never really stared at him for more than a few seconds. He always scared me too much to stare more than 10 seconds at a time, but here today it was different. Andrews wasn't my boss today he was just like me. I used this opportunity to take a look at him. I leant over the bar with one hand under my chin.

His eyes were a piercing blue colour, and he was always very well groomed. He had a small dimple on the front of his chin which I had never noticed it was quite cute. His hair was short and side parted with gel, he looked so different. His face was the perfect manly shape with a chiselled jaw. As he came up to the bar, I could see him staring at me, he was probably thinking the same about me, and I must have looked different too, very different.

My hair was down in a wavy style with bright lipstick on and makeup, Andrews was used to seeing me with my hair tied back and the same uniform on day to day, today we would see each other in a new light.

Jimmy greeted him and showed him the ropes. Andrews got to go into the cellar too so he could check the building out properly. I could see he was nervous. The same band was on again tonight. Alisha walked in and came over to me "Hi Lucy maybe we can have a jam again tonight the band loved you?"

"Yeah, I really enjoyed it too as long as Jimmy is okay with it?" Jimmy?

"Of course kid, I want to hear you again,"

I recognized a few of the customers from the night before and kept my eyes peeled. As the night sped by my feet were killing. I sat for a brief moment to rest my feet at the bar. "Lucy?"

"Yes, Jack is it?" Andrews leaned over as he whispered. "You look so different I almost didn't recognize you,"

"So do you" I pointed back at him.

"I know there's just something, must be the hair?"

Alisha came over "are you ready Lucy?" Andrews's eyes looked puzzled as he had no idea about my musical ability, I joined Alisha at the piano again.

"What are we playing tonight then Lucy?" I felt more pressure tonight knowing that Andrews was listening and also the officers in the van.

I held my hands over the piano again waiting for a burst of passion to fill them. Another old song that my Gran was known for came flowing through my fingers. I wasn't sure if the band would know it, but to my surprise, Alisha knew it well and so did the band.

The guitar joined and the drums. Alisha started the first verse then I joined our voices filled the club, the customers went silent they liked this one. I looked over and saw Andrews looking over in amazement. After the song had finished, I went back to work but Jimmy called me over.

"Lucy come over here and join us for a drink you deserve it, I might promote you if you keep singing this well,"

"Thanks, Jimmy my feet are killing me,"

I sat in the corner as Jimmy introduced me to a few customers he was sat with. This was good as I could listen in to all the conversations. The other bartender joined us his name was Al he was a chatty man, typical barman really. He seemed to know everyone. As the night ended we cleaned up the bar and Jimmy locked up. I walked back with Andrews,

"Lucy you can really sing, I had no idea that was amazing"

"Thanks, Jack my Gran taught me all I know," we both smiled at each other.

We walked down past the van and a few more blocks to division 5, we waited till it was clear to get into the PAV.

"See you tomorrow Anderson" I waved at Andrew's as I flew off. Maybe Andrews wasn't such a miserable grump, after all, I thought to myself, I was starting to see him in a whole new light.