Amanda

Work was right around the corner from our apartment they had planned this all perfectly. Security was very important in this building we had to walk through scanners and detectors Zoe was going to have an interesting job. Most Official buildings had high tech security. After we got in we both went our separate ways I had to find my department I headed to reception. A polite looking lady sat behind a large semi-circle table.

"Hi my name is Katherine Scott it's my first day of work today," I said nervously.

"Hello welcome to the Official business centre this building is like a big maze so it's better if you scan a map into your smart device. I see you have a smartwatch?"

"Yes, it was my new present from my family for starting work,"

The lady scanned the map into my C-Band.

"Ok you are on floor 42, just go ahead to the lifts and scan your new card if you go over to the tech department they can scan the info into your chip. Makes it easier getting in and out" she handed me a work card. I walked over to the lift my floor was nearly the top level it has 45 floors. I scanned my card and the lift flew up fast. Another face greeted me at this floor the lady was middle-aged and looked happy.

"Hello you must be Katherine we have been waiting for you I will take you to your new station,"

"Just call me Kat" I followed the lady past office doors until we reached the end office with a big name on the door AMANDA MARTIN this must be the high-rank official.

"You are lucky Kat getting to be a PA to Amanda she likes young people she's only young herself. Go in and make yourself at home your desk is on the right as you come in, her office is at the back. Just answer the phone and make coffees for today she will let you know exactly what she needs,"

"Thank you I didn't catch your name?"

"My name is Doris nice to meet you, you look so young! Like you should still be in school,"

"Nice to meet you Doris, thank you I'm ready and raring to learn,"

"Okay honey you get settled just to let you know she's not very nice, don't be put off on your first day a lot of young ones don't last very long," Doris was nice I could tell I would like her. She was maternal, caring, she reminded me of my mum.

I looked at Doris and smiled I sat down behind my new desk and waited to meet Amanda Martin, maybe she wouldn't be too bad?

The door swung open and a young looking business lady walked in she was dressed very smart in grey, her hair was perfectly combed tightly in a dark brown ponytail. She looked hostile she walked straight past me and went into her office slamming the door behind her I rolled my eyes thinking how much fun this job was going to be. A moment later the door opened and Amanda was stood at my desk.

"So they have replaced Marcy already, you must be Katherine?"

"Yes, you can call me Kat, nice to meet you, Miss Martin,"

"Okay so if you want to last longer than Marcy, listen to what I say and don't get in my way. Your first job can be getting me a proper coffee over at 61. One Coffee, strong no sugar and Hot,"

"One hot coffee coming up" I left the office swiftly and headed to the ground floor. I could see Zoe sitting at the security desk already and she smiled as I ran past. I headed outside looking for a shop sign. You couldn't miss the big 61 sign big and green they had them in London too. I loved their coffee. I ran in and asked for a strong coffee then ran back to the office as quick as I could. I walked in and placed it on Amanda's desk.

"Wow that was fast a lot faster than Marcy, and its boiling hot maybe you will last longer than Marcy Kat?" I smiled at her then left her office and went back to my desk I could see this would take a while to get any information.

Amanda sent me some work to do on my new computer just menial tasks that were boring, but I was a quick worker and needed to impress her. After a long day, it was time to go home.

"Kat, as you are my personal assistant this means I may need you at any time so you will need to be on call whenever I need you? You will have to be discreet and not talk to anyone about what you see or do here, you must know all this already when you took your Official oath but I'm just reminding you,"

"Yes Miss Martin just call and I will be ready,"

"Good, now you may go."

I wondered what she was talking about what official oath, I was glad I was undercover and happy to get back to our apartment as I passed Zoe she said she would be finishing soon too and meet me back at our apartment. I wasn't used to having to cook food, we had been served all this time at training school and at home so this was all new. At least the kitchen was stocked up so I could make something easy.

I made pasta with tomato and basil sauce and a large glass of red wine, Zoe was home and impressed with my new found cooking skills.

"How was your day?"

"Well I met my boss Amanda she's a stuck up La De Da, but I'm just a geeky school girl remember so I know my place.... what about yours?"

"Boring I would hate to be a security guard, I'm going to have to do shifts too early and lates so we may just be passing each other. But I do get to spy on people so I may be able to find a lot out. There is also another cute guy who works security,"

"I'm on call all hours apparently I have no life, I think it's an early night for me, Zoe,"

I called my mum to tell her I was safe and starting my new job, I couldn't really tell her much as it was all top secret. We were only allowed minimal contact with family.

The next morning at work I was early waiting for Amanda, I had already been over to 61 to get her morning coffee and placed it on her desk. I looked at her desk she had no pictures or personal belongings But maybe the Officials weren't allowed.

"Good morning Kat, oh I see you have my coffee ready and waiting well done I may have a good day today after all, here is a list of jobs for you to start on," She handed me a small piece of paper with a list of 10 jobs.

I wasn't used to seeing paper and pens anymore we hardly used them everything was digital, I liked that she was old school. It made me sad thinking of Andrews note he was just the same.

"Can you write Kat?" She looked at me sternly

"Yes of course,"

"I mean on paper with a pen not with your voice or on a keyboard?"

"Yes, I Can," I smiled at her.

"Good I prefer to write notes by hand so no one can steal them from my computer it's more personal,"

I got to work straight away Amanda was called out to an important meeting, so I just got on with my jobs. The day had gone by fast again and I had finished the 10 jobs and a few more from Doris.