Feelings

I left early to get to work this morning as I wanted some fresh air along the river, the river wasn't like the one in London it was much prettier with lovely flowers growing along the bank and a pretty bridge near the office buildings. I thought about Andrews it was hard not to after that kiss and then leaving each other that's all that played in my mind it was all over now I would never see his face again.

I sat on a bench staring into the river daydreaming about Andrews and us living here in York together looking out on the river, thinking of the life we could have had. I walked to 61 to get the usual coffee for Amanda almost numb lost deep in my thoughts.

"Good morning Doris, how are you this morning?"

"Good Morning Kat why thank you I'm great, how are you? Feeling better?

"Yes thank you," I did my best to smile.

"You know who isn't in a good mood this morning?" Doris whispered

"Amanda came in early and does not look happy watch out honey" I smiled at Doris how could such a nice lady work for such vile people?

The office door was open and Amanda was sat in her chair with her head leaning on the table. "One large coffee boss" I placed it on the table softly for her. Her head flew up and she stared at me, "thank you here is your list for today."

Kat

Photocopy files 23, 22, and 45

Pick my dry cleaning up

Organise my filing system on my computer in alphabetical order

No thank you? For saving you the other night I thought to myself.

The office was quiet I seemed to be the only one on this floor apart from Doris, there must have been a reason for that it made it easy to get my jobs done. One job was on the boss's computer which I was looking forward too.

"Hi, can I get to your computer now please Amanda to do the last job please?"

"Yes, just a second.... ok there done." I expected her to leave me too it, but she sat down and took her heels off on the small black sofa in the large office and put her feet up. "Don't mind me"

The computer files were all financial the Officials financial records, buildings, and spending. It was still interesting as there were payments from other sources I needed to get copies of this later, "So where did you learn to write like that?"

"What do you mean?" I pretended to be busy staring at the screen.

"The note you left me two nights ago. Your handwriting is beautiful where did you learn that?"

"My mother taught me, she would always leave me little notes all over the house growing up so I would have to practice. Your handwriting is really neat too Amanda,"

"My Father taught me, it's about the only good thing he ever did,"

Children at school didn't learn the old way anymore, so it was up to your parents to teach you, I loved writing the old way the way the marks swirled and it was so much more personal. All of that was lost now everything was plain and electronic, no personality.

"Ok that's it I'm all done, is there anything else you would like me to do?"

"That was fast, no I have a meeting in half an hour so you might as well go home but be on standby please, oh how are you today, feeling better?"

"Yes thanks," I was surprised she even noticed I was off sick yesterday.

On my way out of the building, I took the lift to the top floor but there was just more office space, this must have been a different kind of Official building than the one I was kept in. Zoe could maybe get some more information working her first night shift tonight.

Once I was at home, I thought about what Amanda had said about my writing and started writing a note to Andrews, a goodbye note.

Dear Ben,

Hello, it's me, Alex, It sounds funny using your first name I'm still not quite used to it. Well, life in York is really easy so far, it's pretty and quiet and I have time to myself for once which I never used to have.

So far so good, no Officials have been after me, I have a new identity for now.

Andrews, I miss you, I think about you all the time, that kiss, if it wasn't for that kiss I wouldn't be going crazy right now, When you kissed me you didn't just kiss my lips you kissed my soul. It was different from any other kiss I have had before. Maybe one day I will be able to find you and things will be different. Goodbye

Take care. All my love

Alex

It felt easier writing my feelings down, I folded the note up and put it into a small box in my bedroom. It made me feel sad thinking about him knowing I couldn't see him, I needed to get out of here for some air I needed to breathe.

I got changed and headed to the bar hoping Amanda would be there tonight, I needed to get closer to her so she would start trusting me. It felt bad using someone to get information from them. But her being so rude made it slightly easier, it wasn't like she was a drug dealer or murderer but she is working for the Officials and they are my enemy I had to remember that.

I walked in and scanned the bar the people all looked the same wearing suits and expensive dresses. I walked to the end of the bar and in the corner, I could see her, she was sat with a young man both having a glass of wine. I walked to the bar pretending not to see them

"Can I have a glass of red please?"

"Hey it's you Amanda's friend?" the bartender tried to get closer so I could hear him

"Hi yes that's me, you remembered me?"

"Nice to see you again, I've not seen you before the other night?"

"No I've only just left school not long ago, my family moved here from London so this is all new to me,"

"Well welcome and here this drink is on me for a fellow southerner,"

"Thank you, Ash, I thought you might be from London with your beautiful accent." I winked at him and laughed.

"Kat?"

"Kat?"

"Oh, Amanda hi,"

"What are you doing here I didn't call you did I?"

"No, I'm just here for a drink I haven't been to any other bar, so I thought I would come back to this one, I hope that is ok?"

"Yes, of course, I'm not that much of monster,"

"Are you on a date?"

"Date, no don't be silly that's Drew, he works in our building," just as she was speaking the man came over to join us.

"Amanda, where did you get off to who is your friend?"

"This is Kat she works for me, Drew."

"Nice to meet you, Kat, I will get us another drink Amanda," Amanda stared at me again.

"You intrigue me, Kat, you're not like the others they usually send me crazy after five minutes, they would never step foot in this bar especially not on their own,"

"What's wrong with having a drink on your own?"

"Join us?" She almost gave me a smile.

"Is that my boss speaking or a new friend?"

"A new friend,"

"Okay thank you" I walked over and sat with them, the chat was mainly about work but nothing interesting. At least I was starting to gain her trust.

Thanks for all your comments guys, you are all amazing. xoxo