Journey

Zoe and I were all packed and waiting at the collection point. We had said our goodbyes to our family and had been briefed for our journey over the wastelands to York.

 Neither of us had ever been to any other large city apart from London and the country holidays as a child in Scotland. I was excited to be leaving with my best friend and Andrews.

Our friends and family were not happy we were leaving especially Ollie, he was just getting to know Zoe, and he liked her but now he would have to wait until his time ran out or until we could save him somehow. My parents were not happy but my mum knew why I had to go she understood it more than anyone.

The small team joined us I was surprised to see how small. I was surprised to see Clarkson with the group of peacekeepers.

A large hover plane landed on the training centre roof I had never seen one so large close up before it was huge. You could see the many weapons on the outside like a fierce warship.

We boarded the ship walking gingerly along the small corridors. I found the seating area and belted up and sat leaning against the small windows.

"Clarkson where is Andrews?" Clarkson came over and quietly spoke to me.

"I'm sorry Alex, Andrews won't be coming, he told me to give this to you," I stared at her like a deer in headlights.

I was confused what had happened? I felt sad, letdown, like your fiancé standing you up on your wedding day. How could he do this to me why did he lie? I felt angry and hurt.

I put the letter in my pocket I was too angry to read it now. I needed to find my sister to make this all right. I needed to focus all my attention on this mission. As I closed my eyes to this old city my friend, my heart opened to new beginnings. I looked over at Zoe and smiled at least she was with me to start this new adventure together.

"Okay team welcome aboard it's going to take a couple of hours to get to York we need to be careful, the wastelands are dangerous outsiders have tried to fire us out of the sky in the past so keep your eyes peeled."

Clarkson was the team leader she came over to me quickly and belted in next to me.

"Hello again Anderson, I'm so glad you are on my team you did amazing on your test I knew you would I could tell you were special.

You are going to go far in the peacekeepers. I think you must be the first rookie to be assigned to an undercover mission during training and then straight after. How Does It feel not being a rookie anymore? You're a Keeper 1 now,"

"Thank you yes it hasn't quite sunk in yet, but I'm excited the last time I left London I was very young this is all new to me,"

"Really, I've been to all 3 cities and even in the wastelands it's not a pretty place Alex believe me,"

"Wow, you have seen it all haven't you?"

"Yes, Alex that's why I'm in charge of this mission this is a special team you have joined this isn't the normal peacekeeper division,"

"Really, what is it then?"

"We are not peacekeepers but we are not Officials either we are in between we need to dig deep and find out what is happening? York is different to London you will soon find out I will tell you more in time."

The aircraft was fast and smooth it flew over the city and left it behind small and fading in the distance nothing but desert and small ruins everywhere.

You could see where roads and concrete used to exist but nature and wars and fighting had ruined it all. It was sad to pass over and see firsthand what humanity had done to itself.