The ceremony

The morning of the ceremony had arrived. I sat on the end of my bed lost in my thoughts everything was up in the air, I could be called out at any second to fight as a soldier against the Officials.

I'm sorry Andrews, I'm sorry I have to do this. I love you with my whole heart and always will. But you are gone, you left me Left me alone to fight. What am I doing?

I knew he couldn't hear me but I still had him in my thoughts every day haunting my dreams with his kiss.

"Alex, are you getting ready?"

Zoe walked in and could see I was upset. She sat on the end of my bed.

"It's okay Alex if you don't want to do this I will leave now with you? We can just steal a ship and leave. This is all fake remember I know you miss him, I feel so bad that there is nothing I can do for you to take the pain away,"

A song played quietly floating through from the front room, it was one of his favourite old songs. Flashes of him and all the times we shared began to run through my mind. I had to cry right there on Zoe's shoulders. I hadn't really let go of him until now, I hadn't mourned him.

I sobbed loudly and Zoe hugged me tightly crying with me because she hated to see me so broken.

How can Love do this to you? Cripple you make you so numb that you may never love again. Then death follows, we didn't even get to make a story together, and that's what hurts the most. I see his eyes the excitement that day before I left for York the day I lost him forever.

Our story could be the shortest love story ever told.

"What do you want to do Alex, tell me?" Zoe held on to both of my shoulders and waited.

"I have to do this Zoe, I can't give up now. My heart couldn't cope with another love, so maybe this is for the best. Thank you for always being there for me I know I'm the one with all the dramas but without you, I wouldn't be here. I love you Zoe,"

"My life would be so simple without you Alex, but I would be bored as anything and controlled by the Officials. So sharing a room with you is the best thing that ever happened to me. And I love you too little sis," Zoe winked at me and then pulled me up off the bed.

"Come on let's get this dress on and fix your hair, I'm going to make you look so hot Tyler's eyes are going to melt off his face!"

I laughed loudly Zoe always knew how to cheer me up. I stood and looked at the beautiful expensive dress Tyler's parents had bought for me. It was Light blue with white running through in a pretty pattern to match my eyes.

"I think I may be sick Zoe,"

"You are going to be just fine Alex Anderson"

I stood all dressed and staring at myself in the mirror I didn't recognise myself. A blonde blue-eyed girl with her hair beautifully braided and just the right amount of natural makeup stared back at me.

"You look breathtaking Alex I think we have done it. His eyes are going to melt! Just one more thing is missing,"

"Really, Zoe what is it?"

"This, I want you to have it I found it in the city near Camden market when I was young. I wore it every day for years,"

Zoe pinned a tiny small rose pin onto my dress the beautiful subtle pink colour made it stand out. We hugged and then left for the ceremony.

A honk outside told me the vehicle was ready a special ceremony car, they were flashy old-fashioned cars that drove on roads instead of the sky highway. There were more drinks inside I had one more glass before we arrived. Feeling slightly more courageous now after some dutch courage I stepped out of the ceremony car.