Friends

Only one more day at work then I would get two days off, I was starting to feel like this was my real life. Work was getting too easy Amanda was being nicer to me after our experience together. But I needed to find more answers to my questions I needed to get to Jonathan.

I turned up early to work with coffee waiting on Amanda's desk. She walked in only a few minutes later looking very smart. "Good morning Kat you can take that coffee with us, we are off out today to do some work at head office."

"Yes, Amanda I will get the coffee for you do you need anything else?"

"No that's it come on follow me,"

This was a good break for our team I couldn't believe I may find out what happens behind the closed doors of the Officials.

Amanda's private security and driver picked us up from the rooftop of the building and only took us a few blocks to another building. It was even higher and all black with black windows so you couldn't see anything. We landed on the roof and stepped out to be welcomed by Amanda's father Jonathan.

"Hello, Darling thanks for coming over I wanted to share some of our progress with you,"

"I'm looking forward to it Father you don't mind if Kat is with me? She is my personal assistant I trust her."

"That's fine as long as you both go through the scanners first for security, even I have too, we have to be careful the resistance is getting stronger and becoming more of a threat," I was happy to hear we were making a mark finally.

We passed through the scanners making sure we took all of our watches and tech off first they kept it all in small pods in the large reception. No C-bands or any tech allowed in the building. I had to be observant as possible.

"Katherine welcome to HQ this is where everything happens" we followed Jonathan through to what looked like a science floor with labs and people in white lab coats and glasses.

"Amanda we are still working on the perfect genetic code we haven't quite got it 100 percent but we are very close" As Jonathan spoke I scanned the room the scientists were on computers with what looked like DNA coding of some sort? There were test tubes and I could see baby embryos on monitor screens. I shivered thinking of all the tests this monster had done on my mother. I wondered what other tests were being done in this building it didn't look good.

Jonathan invited Amanda and I back to his office for a drink and a chat, Amanda asked him questions about Genetics and also financial information. As far as I could tell that's what Amanda was in charge of the financial side of the government, by the way, they lived and dressed the Officials were raking it in. A class was determined by your job. I had grown up in the middle class with a father in the peacekeeping force so we always had a nice apartment and money but Officials had big houses and flashy private vehicles. Most people lived in big apartment's not many people could afford houses they were a thing of the past.

Watching Amanda closely as she spoke with her Father I could see how awkward they were together, she said she didn't like him as a person and that came across. Looking around his office I couldn't really see much it was empty and cold apart from a few medals and a big ugly deer's head hanging on the wall, just like Amanda's his office had no personality. We left to go and see another floor this time we took the lift just Amanda and I.

"This place is like a maze Kat I've got lost a few times in the past and ended up in trouble so we must be careful, we want the 14th floor," Amanda didn't seem certain when she pressed the button. She circled her finger over the numbers then finally pressed 14 and scanned her wrist.