Life Saver

//R

It's been two weeks since school started and I couldn't be happier. Kayo is so fun to hang out with. She is super relaxed all the time and loves laughing at my jokes. We are in science right now and we are lab partners. 

"Ok look, if we are going to finish this experiment today we are going to need to work quickly. I already know that the reaction will be a change in temperature and color. We just need the proof that we did the work." Kayo explained.

Did I mention she is a science genius? She always knew the result of the experiment before we even started. I mean, we had a week to finish this project, but if we worked together we could get it done in under a day. 

"I got your googles already, can you grab the burner stand and 600 mL beaker?" I asked.

I handed her a set of goggles and she put them on. I set my mind into 'work mode' and started jotting things down. My hand writing wasn't the neatest, but it was legible.

"Thanks and way ahead of you." she smirked.

She placed all the utensils and chemicals we needed for the experiment to take place. She smiled and then started setting up the experiment. Her hands were flying over the table grabbing different chemicals and mixing them. 

I took notes at the same speed and once the experiment was in action she sat down and started taking observations. While we waited for the two chemicals to boil, we copied each others notes and took time and temperature checks.

She switched test tubes every now and then. When we had finished boiling all three test tubes and taking notes, we cleaned up just in time for the bell. Kayo and I did a high five as we walked out the door. 

"All we have to do now is write the lab essay which we can do in class tomorrow!" I exclaimed.

"I knew we could do it!" she squealed back.

It was nice having another person to talk to, especially one who knew the periodic table like the back of her hand. No, we aren't nerds. We just finished everything quickly and understood each other without having to explain everything. We walked into French side by side and sat down next to each other in our usual seats.

//S

Science was by far my favorite subject. It was so easy since I had learned all the material with Mr. Freeze during our training sessions, when he wasn't complaining about his dead wife. I really felt bad for the guy. I don't know how I would feel is I lost my spouse and had to wear a suit everywhere because I couldn't live without it.

I sighed out loud, French. I loved chilling with Dick in all my classes, but language was my worst subject. I just couldn't get the pronunciations right. I could memorize all of the words and their meanings, but I just couldn't say them. 

"Don't forget the test tomorrow. There will be a written part and a pronunciations portion." the teacher reminded us.

I groaned. There was no way I was ready for this test. Of course, I had all the terms memorized, but I couldn't say any of them out loud! Dick must've heard me groan because he smiled at me.

"If you're not doing anything after school today we could study at my house." he whispered.

He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. Why was he so uncomfortable? I forgot to mention that Dick knows like a million languages. He is fluent in every single one and I can't even speak two! He is just taking this class to boost his already perfect GPA and for high school credits.

"Please, I am so not ready for this test. You're a life saver." I whispered back.

"Meet me at the south door after school, I'll drive you. I think you'll be whelmed." he offered.

He smiled from ear to ear, he was such a goofball. He cracked a joke when ever he could and they always made me burst out laughing. I honestly couldn't ask for a better friend. Artemis was also super fun to have class with. We would always talk at the back of the classroom so the teacher wouldn't here us. We helped each other get through math class. 

Since I was in all honors classes there were sophomores in most of my classes. We both powered through math helping each other get all the notes down.

I would be lucky if I didn't fail French. I have managed to keep my grade up by doing all the homework for completion grades. The problem was, if I failed the pronunciation part of the test, I could wave my good grade goodbye.

Before I could ask Dick what 'whelmed' meant the bell rang and we rushed out the door.

//R

Why did I feel so awkward? I quickly recovered back into my calm and collected state. There was only one problem with Kayo coming over. Bruce was going to kill me for inviting a stranger to the manor.

//

Awkward bird brain better watch his back because Batsy is going to kick his butt. That's a mouthful. I hope you guys did okay with the POV switching twice. :)

~KO

//