Bird Whisperer

//S

"I don't deal with sidekicks. Penguin speaks to me in person, or else no deal." the man stated.

"Don't flatter yourself, you're wasting my time. We have two other dealers who would give it to us for $6,000. You either go lower or forget it." I insisted. 

"These are state of the art gadgets from of some of the most secure weapon manufactures in the world. There is no way that you have two other dealers." he stated laughing at my stupidity.

"Wanna bet?" I smiled innocently.

His smile dropped and he started second guessing himself. Of course we didn't have any other offers, but he didn't need to know that. He rubbed his temple with his thumb and forefinger. His ratty, red hair fell onto his face. He had brown eyes, a slight build, and he was wearing shorts and a plain t-shirt.  He finally sighed and looked me in the eye.

"$4,000 is my final offer, no more." he insisted.

I smiled, "It was nice doing business with you." I said slyly.

I took the two cases and handed him the pay in cash. I walked out of the train cart and walked into my makeshift tent. I placed the cases under the sleeping bag and walked out zipping the tent up. I walked into the giant red tent and climbed up the pole in the middle of the ring.

No one saw me climb the pole because the lights were on the act below me. It looked like an elephant act with dancers in shiny costumes standing on elephants' backs. I focused on the latter and kept climbing until I reached the platform. The platform had a light metal disk placed on top of it. It was bigger than the platform so it hung off the edge.

Applause shook the tent as the elephant act ended and they walked out of the ring. I took a deep breathe and closed my eyes. I could control the bird's minds, but I had to focus on all of them at once. I was wearing my combat gear, but without my cloak.

"Ladies and gentleman, please help me welcome one of our Gotham acts. I give you the bird whisperer." the ringleader announced.

The tent erupted in clapping and cheering. The spotlight moved to my elevated platform and I bowed. The room got quiet as the piano started to play and I closed my eyes. 

Up. I lifted my hand towards the ceiling and birds started to shoot up from the stands and soar into the air. All different shaped and sizes, they flew beautifully. They moved so fast it looked like a wave of colors filling the tent.

Circle me. Each of the birds circled me like I was their prey. Swoop down. The birds faced down and started to fall all around me. Eat. The birds searched the room and found popcorn bags and fries. They took a piece and ate it. All of the kids laughed and clapped loudly. 

Lift me. The birds went under the light metal platform that was hanging off the platform and flew. They slowly lifted me allowing more birds to get under me and distribute the my weight. Soon I was in the air being circled by more birds covering the metal disk making it seem as if I was floating. The crowd cheered and whistled. 

Circle the room. The spotlight followed me all around the tent. The birds flew me around the room once making all the kid's eyes go wide.  I loved seeing their faces so amazed. I looked at each one of them, smiled and waved, until I saw him. I almost lost my balance of the disk, but managed to stay on my feet. 

Put me down. The birds flew the disk down to the ground. Once the disk was a yard or two off the ground I did a flip off and took a bow. The crowd went wild and stood to clap. I searched the room for him, but couldn't see him.

Put it back. The birds flew back up to the platform and placed the disk on top of it. They all flew out of the tent doors and the room was still ecstatic. I smiled at the crowd and walked out of the ring as the ringleader introduced the next act.

I ran back to my tent to make sure that my cases were still there. They were safe and sound under my sleeping bag. I quickly changed back into some normal clothes and packed my uniform back into my duffel bag. I walked out of my tent and ran back to the circus tent right when the final act had ended. 

While everyone was filing out of the tent I scanned each of the faces. Bingo! I ran over to a boy with raven black hair and blue eyes. He was walking next to a big man that gave me the chills. The boy had a confused and worried look on his face.

"Dick! I didn't know you would be here!" I yelled while I ran over to him.

He shook the confused look off of his face and smiled as I walked over. I waved and greeted Mr. Wayne, he just nodded in response and started walking towards the black car I was in yesterday. 

"Hey Kayo! What are you doing here?" he asked excitedly.

"I could ask you the same thing. My parents are somewhere in the tent, I am still looking for them. Instead of finding them I found you. Did you see the elephant act?" I asked.

Of course my parents weren't in the tent. Penguin was probably still waiting in the warehouse expecting me to deliver his packages. I tried to keep the conversation going so that I had a reason to stay away from Penguin for a little bit longer.

"I thought it was amazing! Did you see that bird trainer? I wonder how she trained all of those birds, it was C-O-O-L. That was my favorite act." he laughed.

The look of confusion and worry appeared on his face again. He thought the bird trainer was the best act! If only he knew.

"You don't look good Dick. Are you okay?" I asked concerned.

"I'm fine. I love coming to the circus every year. It makes me feel like a kid again." he replied.

"Well, I guess I will see you at school on Monday. Tell Alfred I said 'hi'." I said with a cheery tone in my voice.

"Sure thing." he answered.

I waved and smiled as I walked back towards the tent. I changed back into my uniform and grabbed the cases. The night wasn't over yet.

//

This chapter was F-U-N to write. I hope you guys could visualize the performance in your minds.

~KO

//