Red Rum

//S

When I got back to the drafty warehouse, I saw Penguin waiting for me. He had, what I hoped to be, a smile on his face. He let the birds out of their cages and they were flying around the room and hopping from here to there. I cautiously closed and locked the door behind me.

"Great news my graceful Silver Swan. I have been given permission to tell you about the plan, the mission to get rid of the sidekick team." he had a twisted grin on his face as he said it.

"Permission?" I questioned. 

"As you know I have been discussing this plan with Gotham's elite. They didn't want me to tell you until we were absolutely sure that our plan was flawless. Come," he gestured to the table, "We have a lot of work to do before the mission will move into motion in two weeks." he explained.

I simply nodded in response and followed him to the table. The table was made of polished birch and it was a huge circle with four legs. It was cluttered with papers and blueprints, and little notes here and there. I recognized the handwriting as mostly the Riddler's, but I did see a stack of papers with an unknown handwriting. They were all formatted like letters and signed by the one and only Scarecrow.

How was he in on this plan? Wasn't he in Arkham Asylum for life? The real question I should be asking is why am I so surprised? Arkham Asylum is called the 'revolving door for criminals'. All of the people locked in that facility might be insane, but they are also clever and smart. 

"Well, what are you waiting for? You play an EXTREMELY big part in this mission and there is absolutely no room for error. You will be free from those dreadful rodents who claim to be heroes in two weeks. Now put a smile on your face and get to work." Penguin said slightly impatient. 

*** 

I groggily opened my eyes and hoisted myself up on my mattress. I looked through the opened cage to see a plate sitting on the round table. The smell made it's way to my nose and I jumped out of bed like it was a pile of hot rocks. I ran to the table, my bare feet slapping against the cement floor. I recognized that smell from my childhood. Low and behold, I saw with my own two eyes a treasure that I thought I would never see again. 

Waffles and bacon! I took the fork lying on the napkin beside the plate and was ready to devour the treat, but I stopped. Penguin usually fed me cooked fish for breakfast, why the change? It took all of my will power to place the fork down and step away from the plate. Do you have any idea how hard it is to brush the smell of fish out of you mouth? 

Sorry that was a shellfish thing to say. Ha, I love puns, but seriously. Not many people had food and I knew what that felt like when I was on the streets for a year. I feel sick for even complaining, I feel like a complete spoiled brat. I've been attending Gotham's best school for the past three months, I am not in immediate danger, I'm still breathing, and don't have to scavenge for food in dumpsters anymore. I need to repeat it to myself constantly so that I never forget what that tragic year felt like.

Penguin must have heard the movement coming from my direction because he walked out of his 'bedroom'. By bedroom I mean a closed off section of the warehouse covered up by velvet curtains. The gentleman of crime was furious that he had to give up his luxurious bedroom at the Ice Lounge up for a Queen sized mattress and cheap linens. 

"Why do you hold back from eating this wonderful meal I have prepared for you?" Penguin asked kindly.

"What's the catch?" I replied with another question.

"You need as much fuel and energy as you can get to train for the mission. I can't express how important this mission is to me and the rest of Gotham." Penguin explained.