Study Buddy

//S

First it was the offer, then the car, then the house, and now a butler! I honestly almost forgot Dick's dad was a billionaire. Dick looked a little uneasy when he left to go talk to 'Master Bruce'. What was going on with him? Since we got here he has been acting different.

I ran into the kitchen and sat at the marble table. I looked at the beautiful flowers sitting in the vase. They were beautiful dark purple roses with little thorns on their stems. That's what made roses so amazing. They looked beautiful, yet they were dangerous.

Alfred must have noticed me staring at the bouquet and chuckled. Alfred was one of the best parts of my experience at Dick's house and I have only been here for four minutes. 

"Is there anything that doesn't amaze you?" he asked kindly.

I shrugged, "Everything is just so beautiful, you just have to look at it in a certain light." I smiled.

"Dick's mood has changed over the past week. He seems happier than usual, now I know why." he stated looking at me.

I smiled in return. It was nice to know that I could make someone happy without having to earn it. Just being myself was enough. Just then, the butler walked over to the cabinets and started digging through them and scanning different boxes. 

"What are you doing Alfred?" I ask curiously.

"Cooking soup for dinner, Ms. Kayo." he replied.

"Can I help?!" I covered my mouth, "I mean is there anything could do?" I repeated more refined.

"Thanks, but don't feel like you need to help." Alfred thanked.

"W-What if I really wanted to help you make soup..." I said wanting to be polite.

He laughed, "Sure, come over here and grab the big pot in the bottom drawer." he instructed.

I basically leaped out of my chair and ran to the drawer and pulled out a huge metal pot. I carried it over to the stove Alfred was standing in front of and placed it on one of the burners. We filled it with chicken broth and let it boil.

"Can you dig through that drawer," he pointed at a small drawer, "and grab a cutting board?" he asked.

I scampered across the kitchen floor and skidded to a stop in front of the drawer in mys socks. I dug through the utensils and found the cutting board. I walked back to the marble counter and handed it to Alfred. I started to peel potatoes that Alfred had given me while he cut some carrots.

"Have you always worked for Mr. Wayne? Or did you do something before this." I blurted out randomly.

"I did actually. I worked for the queen." Alfred stated.

My eyes widened, "The queen, as in the Queen of England?" I asked curiously.

"Of course, the first time I met her, I tripped over myself and fell flat on my face." he said.

"You? Tripping in front of the queen?" I asked.

I burst out laughing and Alfred chuckled happily. I was still laughing with Alfred and his funny stories when I turned around and saw Dick and Bruce Wayne. I quickly coughed to cover up my laughing and became silent.

"I-I didn't see you come in." I said, suddenly finding my shoes very interesting.

I walked over uneasily to the man. He was tall and strong. His hair was gelled and his suit was pressed. It looked like he had just gotten back from a business meeting. He had brown eyes that looked down at me. He studied me as if I were a problem he couldn't solve for a few seconds. I gulped to clear my throat and approached the man.

"Hi, Mr. Wayne. My name is Kayo, I know your son Richard from school." I said weakly.

I stuck my hand out towards the man for him to shake. He grabbed it with a tight grip and said nothing. He briefly shook my hand and nodded. Why was I so nervous around him? He gave me the chills and I hid the shiver that traveled down my spine showing no fear.

"Hey, we can study in my room. Grab your backpack." Dick said breaking the awkward silence. 

Dick looked at me reassuringly and nodded his head toward the polished wooden steps. I nodded in response, grabbed my art project and backpack, and waved goodbye to Alfred. I quickly ran in step right behind Dick as we walked up the stairs silently. 

Once we reached the top of the stairwell we took a sharp right. He led me into a room at the end of a long hallway and opened the door for me. Dick walked in behind me and closed the door. I let out a breath that I didn't realize I was holding. 

"Don't let him scare you. He isn't much of a people person, that's all." Dick assured.

I smiled forgetting the stare down I had just had with Dick's dad and turned around to look at his room. It. Was. Huge. It had the biggest window I had ever seen and I ran over to it dropping my backpack. Everything in the room was neat and tidy, Alfred must have been a great butler. My jaw dropped as I gaped at the view.

"You can't seriously tell me you live here." I said in awe.

"Welcome to my room. I would give you a bigger tour, but even I haven't been in all the rooms in the manor." he chuckled.

"Thank you so much Dick for bringing me here. It has been so fun and I have only been here for 20 minutes!" I squealed trying to control my girly side.

"I'm so happy you like it, I was a little nervous at first to be honest. Well, don't you have a French test to study for?" he inquired.

"Oh right!" I agreed. 

We settled ourselves on chairs right next to the window and started studying. Dick went over EVERYTHING and even quizzed me a few time. Alfred came in a gave us a platter of cookies that we devoured. It was amazing here and I didn't want to leave.

"Master Dick, dinner is ready." Alfred said popping his head in the room.

"Okay." he replied.

He got up from off the floor and walked to the door. He stopped and turned around. He looked at me expectantly.

"Let's go." he said gesturing to the door.

"I'm going?" I asked confused.

"Of course you are coming! You're our guest," I opened my mouth to speak, "and don't even start about the intrusion thing. Just hurry up." he said.

He grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the room. He ran down the steps still pulling on my arm. We finally burst into the dinning room. I looked down at my clothes, I was wearing my school uniform. How was I supposed to eat dinner with a billionaire in my school attire? Dick pulled out a chair for me at the long table. I thanked him, smiled, and sat down. 

//

Trust me, some funny things are about to go down. ;)

~KO

//