Can't Fall For The Nerd

"Eew! What is she wearing!"

Ahh, the first day of school. The day where cliques are created, egos are boosted and nerds are made fun of relentlessly.

That's me, the nerd.

While walking down the hall, head down, glasses low on the tip of my nose, I could feel the stares burning into my back. My Minecraft T, ratted Converse and jeans must not meet the Cheerleaders standards. Besides, if the cheerleaders got there way everybody would have to wear crop tops and short shorts.

The cheerleaders standing in one giant mob in the center of The Commons whisper loudly as some one that doesn't meet there requirements scamper by. Brandy, the head cheerleader, stands front and center as she takes mental note about the attire of our school.

Landyn Glenn and his posse of jocks stand right beside the Cheerleader but they talk and tease amongst themselves. They only look to the outside world to check out one of the cheerleaders.

And finally the rest of the population of this torture chamber. The rest of the students stand beside there lockers checking out the cheerleaders or whispering with friends about the 'fashion show'.

This happens every year. The 'populars' get here early and make fun of students' outfits as they are forced to parade down the hallway to get to their lockers. The commons, where lunch and handouts happen, is connected to a long hallway of lockers, therefore if they stand at the beginning of the hallway, they can't go directly to class, only to there locker.

Pretty smart, but torcherous.

Anyways, as I make my way down the hall, I finally spot my locker. At the very end, where I will literally have to run to class. Well maybe not run, but fast walk.

After grabbing my books and pencil bag, I when back down the hall to my first hour, Mr. Shay. He's a social studies, teacher and one of the nicest people you will ever meet. The only time I ever saw him get grouchy was when he had to stay up all night with his crying baby, then someone wrote something very inappropriate on the board.

Even then, they just got detention for a day, and Mr. Shay didn't even yell.

So as I went into the classroom I lifted my head for the first time since I arrived. I had Mr. Shay last year, so he waved as I walked through the door. I took a seat in the front of the classroom and burried my nose in my book.

Since it was the first day of school, the class didn't start for a half hour to allow students to find there lockers and mingle with fellow scholars. I would much rather be in here reading.

Five chapters later, the average population of the school began to trickle in. The 'populars' wouldn't be in until just second, just before the bell rings.

When they finally did arrive, class started and went farely smoothly.

After marching back to my locker before second hour, I realized that my locker neighbor was my best friend Scott. I tapped his shoulder but before he could respond I wrapped him into a bone-crushing hug. He looked surprised at first but then realized who it was and hugged back.

You thought I was a complete loner, didn't you.

"Scott, you promised you would call me! The last time I checked, you didn't even text me." I scolded him.

"I'm sorry, camp was busy and I didn't even get back until last night. By the way those camp shirts are not my style."

"That's because the only color you wear is black and sometimes, you wear jeans."

"That's true," He ran his hand through his chocolate colored hair and slammed his locker, "I've got to get to class, see you at lunch, okay."

Scott was the reserved type who never let anything get in his way. He had defended me for my tormentors several times even though he gets teased as much as I. He also gets teased quite often for being gay. When he first came out, he was disowned by his father, his only remaining family. Luckily, even though they still fight, they live together now.

"Yepper."

He smiled at my weirdness and walked back down the hallway.

When I finally arrived at my second hour, Mrs. Green, for math I was still not late. Score one for Angela! But on the other hand, the jocks were. They sauntered into class late and received a nasty glare from Mrs. Green who is a stickler on attendance. I had never had her before and heard she was very strict. She gave out killer homework and also hated the 'populars'

That was one reason to like her: she thought popularity was dumb.

Finally, on to Mrs. Webber's class. She was one of the nicest teacher at the school. She gave out lots of projects that I had heard are easy to pass. She had long blond hair and always wore bright colorful skirts. Mrs. Webber always had on a smile and her eyes sparkled.

I sat in the front of the classroom and pulled out my book. I read a lot, okay.

When the 'pops' walked in she began class.

"Hello class. I'm Mrs. Webber, but I bet you knew that. This year we are going to do some interesting projects. We will start with the first one in a moment but first, why don't we tell something about you selves and your name. You start."

She pointed to a frightened looking freshman, she must be very advanced. The girl stood up.

"Well, hello. I'm Amber and I like to draw."

She sat back down and the next person stood up. Mrs. Webber had begun in the back so I had a while to wait. I tooned out the flutter of 'hellos' and pulled my book out again.

I felt a poke on my arm and quickly brushed it away.

"Hey, it's your turn."

I clambered to my feet and began to speak.

"Hello, I'm Angela, and I like Mincraft and comic books."

I heard a muffled chuckle go around the room as I sat back down and picked my book back up.

Finally, when everybody had finished tellin about themselves, I felt the familiar poke.

"Put the book down we are starting."

"Your not the boss of me. Wow, that sounded like I was 4. Well anyways I guess your right. I will stop talking know."

I could feel a blush make its way onto my cheeks.

He chuckled, "Your funny. By the way, I'm Darris Holden, I suppose you don't know that considering you were reading the entire time."

"I didn't, but I would have figured it out. You're pretty nice for a jock."

"Oh, the stereotypes." He turned his attention back to Mrs. Webber.

Mrs. Webber began, "Okay class, we are going to begin a project today. It will help you get to know each other better than you do. You will not pick your partner, I will. So hear we go. Darris with Brandy,"

I heard a groan come out of Darris and I chuckled.

Mrs. Webber continued on until she reached my name, "Angela Darwin and Landyn Glenn."

What! That can't be. The one who's tortured me since middle school.

"What?" Landyn screamed.

He appear to was as happy about it as I was.

"Good luck with him," Darris said as he walked out. "Your gonna need it."

Oh, the torture.

***

Hey guys. Welcome to my story on Wattpad!

I deleted my other story because I hated it, but hopefully you enjoy this one.

Pic of Angela's shirt on the side.

Please comment and vote.

Thanks,

-M