Chapter Five

Chapter 5

Recap:

After a meal of noodles with cheese, Scott and I found our selfs planted on the couch still munching on potato chips. I swear that boy is bottomless. He could literally eat a cow and still want desert.

I glanced at the clock. It was already about seven. Soon Mom walked through the door looking overwhelmed and overworked. "Well, hello Scott. Nice to see you again."

She disappeared into her bedroom probably not to be seen again until tomorrow night. She must have eaten at the hospital even though she despised the food.

"Well I better get home. My dad will be worried." He let himself out and slowly began to walk home.

***

Landyn's POV

Angela was acting quite strange today. Even though we got quite a lot of our project done, she seemed reserved. Her red hair was in its usual ponytail but it looked rushed. During Mrs. Webber's class she wouldn't stop fidgeting. She could focus but I noticed that her beautiful, captivating, bright green eyes were darker and more reserved. She was wearing her usual nerdy shirt but it looked cute on her.

Ugh I did not just think that.

But I did.

At lunch I confronted Darris. He had been giving me strange looks and mentioning Angela a lot when we would speak.

"Do you like Angela?" I got directly to the point.

"No, dude. But you do."

The look on my face must have said it all because he gave me a know-it-all look. "No, I do not." I could feel my face heating up. I never blushed. Never.

I stormed away, disgusted with my own thoughts and feelings.

***

After school and football practice I had hockey practice. No one at school knew that I play hockey. I play football merely to please my group at school. Hockey is my real passion, and I often got teased for it at home. My mother thought it was a waste of time and money. My father believed that we had to be the perfect Nuclear family, I had to play football, my sister, though younger than me, would be a cheerleader, and they would be working parents who supported and loved their kids. I guess I dissapointed them. Nothing new.

I could never please anyone.

I arrived at the rink twenty minutes early to warm up and change into my gear. Some of my teammates were there already. I warmed up by stretching then skating around the rink a few times getting faster and faster each time around. When Coach called us into a huddle I the center of the ice, I already knew what he was going to do. He split us into two teams, red vs. purple.

He handed out the ratty jerseys that I had grown up wearing. I had played hockey since I was six, just old enough to begin in the lowest level. Surprisingly there had never been a single player who went to our high school. And for that I was beholden.

I had a strong team and I knew we could do well. The games started strong, my thought soon began to cloud over and our team was quickly loosing points. I missed a slap shot and three other easy plays. The thought of Angela alone was enough to boggle my brain. I knew that if I were to try to go after her I would risk my reputation and would loose the trust of many of my friends.

In the end we ended up getting creamed and my team began to hate me. "Hey Coach, I don't feel well. Do you mind if I go home?" He nodded and I skated off the ice. What is she doing to me. I had barely spent a full day with her. Plus she hated my guts.

***

Angela's POV

The next day

Walking to my locker was beyond awkward. All of the cheerleaders were staring at me. Even though I had done nothing wrong, I couldn't ignore the strong feeling that something was going to go wrong. I could hear the rumors circulating.

Landyn was waiting by my locker when I arrived. That must be why they were staring me down.

"I need to get to my locker." He looked startled. Even I was surprised by the ice lacing my voice. He had done nothing wrong, but I felt he was to blame for something.

"I need to talk to you."

"Okay, after school." I could feel the stares burning into my back.

"No, now." He slowly moved aside allowing me access to my locker.

"No, after school." I heard him huff. Then, suddenly, I wasn't on the ground. Screaming, I was thrown over Landyn's shoulder like a sack of potatoes. His hand was awfully close to a piece of my anatomy I would not likes touched.

"Landyn, move your hand away from my butt."

I felt him shake with laughter. I could still feel the glares. The cheerleaders and general population of the school already hated my guts, this would only make it worse. I really didn't care. Like I had a reputation to ruin, but I knew who did. So I made a scene.

"If you don't hold still I will have to touch your butt." I quickly stopped moving but never the less kept screaming and carrying on. Although soon enough I ended up on the ground.

As I caught my balance, I finally was able to look around, the boys' locker room. I gaped at him open mouthed. He must have saw my expression because he began to laugh again.

"Don't worry. The first gym class doesn't begin for another half hour. I just wanted to tell you to meet me after my football practice behind the bleachers. I need to take you somewhere." Then he was gone and I was still in the boys' locker room.

***

Please don't hurt me.

I'm sorry. I had Arioso and choir concerts, eighth grade graduation, several books and essays to finish, finals, and a whole lot of other things. Now that school is out I can update regularly.

I'm leaving on Thursday to go to Washington state for three weeks and probably won't be able to update but will write and post them when I get back, Deal?

-M