Chapter Twenty-Two

We had done it!

I was so proud of our team they really pulled it off. The whole team skated opinion circles still hyped on adrenalin.

As I skated back onto the ice, I noticed a few guys from the other team acting strangely. I didn't think anything of it as I skated back onto the ice to take pictures. Coach was absolutely ecstatic and he couldn't stop smiling.

Angela was standing up and was still cheering. Scott right beside her clapping. He actually smiled.

I noticed a guy from the other team move and I felt a sharp pain in the side of my head. Then, everything went black.

***

Angela's POV

Landyn's body hit the ice like a stone. A puck slid across the ice next to his head, indicating It wa the weapon.

Some boys from the Bobcats snickered and several angry bystanders rushed over to them to prevent them from leaving. I could see the coach already on the phone, hopefully to 911.

A medic was on the ice attending to Landyn. I couldn't hear anything, only the blood rushing in my head. I had no control over my legs and soon I was on the ground. They had given out. I could see Scott, panicking both for me and Landyn.

It wasn't long before I had a water in my hand and I was beginning to get my focas back. I still had thought running through my head. Completely jumbled.

Is he going to be okay?

He hasn't moved. That's bad.

He's unconscious.

That's not normal.

Could he die?

Death.

The worst thought of all. I had heard of people who had died from less. The speed of a puck is between 30-100 MPH. How fast had the pick been going?

Panic began to take hold of my chest again. Pushing and holding against it. Resisting airflow. I could feel tears make their way down my cheeks, leaving little rivers.

Paramedics raced onto the ice. I was watching it all unfold, piece by piece.

I looked over and noticed that Mr. and Mrs. Glenn where no longer on the bench beside Scott and I. They stood taking to medics. Probably allergies and helpful information.

I wanted to go down to the ice to see him but I knew my legs wouldn't support me. I couldn't hear anything. I was in my own little world. Scott pulled me onto the bench. My world crashing down around me.

Scott was rubbing small circles on my back as I sobbed. His comforting energy still over me.

***

I don't remember much however, I ended up at the hospital. Scott had somehow coaxed me to leave the safety of the bench and get in the car.

The stench of bleach and other random smells that made up the hospital permeated the air. The smell everyone knew and hated.

Sitting outside in the waiting room, I had time to reflect. Soon after the paramedics arrived, cops showed up. They took the kid who shot the puck at him. He would be there for a little while. He would also get charges pressed against him.

I had yet to see Landyn. He was rushed here in case of brain bleeding. Nobody knew why was going on. At least his parents were allowed in the room.

Scott had called Evan crying. He was shaken up about it. Evan cooed relaxing words through the phone. I could hear parts of the conversation, not a lot, but some.

I hadn't uttered a word since the incident. I was too upset. I still hadn't seen even my mother. She was here, but it didn't know where.

Finally after what seemed like hours of waiting a nurse came in.

"Are you Angela Darwin?" She asked in a overly sympathetic voice.

I nodded my head. She took my hand and lead me down the hallway the Glenns where taken down so long ago. She stopped I front of a door and dropped my hand. I turned to face her.

"You can go in, but he's in a coma. We don't know when he'll wake up, or if he'll wake up. He had a major concussion and possibly some other trauma. Stay strong." And she walked off.

I slowly opened the door. The Glenn's gathered around the single bed in the middle of the room. They turned and looked at me before both standing up and leaving the room.

I was alone. Terrified, I walked over to the bed. He had a tube in his nose. He looked peaceful but also in pain. The ace bandage wrapped around his head seemed out of place.

I sat down and grabbed his hand. I had never been religious but I would be lying if I said I didn't pray. I missed his laugh, his smile, even that annoying smirk. I would give anything to be back in his house cuddling and watching movies.

I gently pressed my lips to his forehead, laying my head on the mattress next to him.

The tears began to work back into my eyes. The tears flowing freely, I drifted off.

***

I woke a little later, Scott shaking me."We've go to get you home."

"No." I spoke for the first time. I voice raspy and barely there from the crying.

"You need to go home and get some sleep."

"I'm not leaving Landyn." I said

"Yes, you are." He moved to me.

I stood up in my chair. Crossing my arms in front of my chest. "I'm not leaving."

He took a quick step towards me, grabbing my arm. "Yes, come on. I'll drive you."

I gave up all attempts to stay. Sleep weighing me down.

Scott pulled into my driveway. I got out and went to the house. I couldn't imagine today's events. I had just wanted to support him.

Some people where truly mean. How could someone do that?

Finally after laying in bed forever trying to sleep. I let the tears take over once again and sleep claimed me.

***

I'm sorry for such a depressed chapter.

On a happier note. We have 600 reads. That's a hundred more than I expected. Only 8 more votes to go.

I'm thinking there will be one more real chapter and an epilogue. Are you okay with
that?

The hockey rink on the side!

Please message me with questions to answer about the book. I think it would be fun.

Also, who's your favorite real author?

Love you,

-M