Chapter 4

Your POV

        Once the festivities of the night end, you and Lily sit by the fire in the common room, trying to dry from the earlier storm. You and Lilly play Exploding Snap, with the outcome of each game a mirror image of the last. Lily wins every game.
She suddenly hurries to her feet, whispering, "Potter's coming from his dormitory! I'll be up in ours!" Sure enough, Potter and his three laughing friends are gallivanting down the stairs.
James notices Lily hurrying up the girls' stairs. "Come back, my love!" James proclaims in a tone similar to that of a knight saving a maiden in a Muggle book. He chases after her, a fruitless persuit, for just as Lily reaches the top of the stairs, James reaches the first step. The stairs immediately transform into a slide, rendering it impossible for him to continue.
"Curse you, castle!" he bellows in the same tone, drawing laughs from you, Peter, and Sirius. Remus merely smiles.
You pick up the latest book you are reading, a Muggle fiction entitled "The Hound of the Baskervilles," by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It had always been a favorite of your Muggle mother. Your favorite armchair by the fire remains unoccupied, so you get comfortable and quickly become absorbed in your book.
You hear someone sit down in the chair across from you. Your (E/C) eyes meet a pair of green eyes as you look up. "Hello, (Y/N)," Remus says with a smile.
"Hi," you return simply. His smile draws a pang in your heart, which you ignore.
"What are you reading?" You show him the cover of your book. "I read that one over the summer."
You respond with a quick smile, as you return to your reading. You feel warmth in your face, but it surely isn't blushing. It's from the fire, you tell yourself. However, you aren't fully convinced.
-----